St. Croix Journals

Fourth of July in St. Croix

A July 2005 trip to St. Croix by JenLara

A colorful street in Christianstaad Photo, St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands More Photos
Quote: A short island hop to St. Croix was just what we needed: pretty beaches, a great golf course, and excellent restaurants made for a fun trip.

Fourth of July in St. Croix

A colorful street in Christianstaad Photo, St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands
The major highlight of St. Croix was walking around Christianstaad, the capital, and admiring the beautiful and colorful Dutch architecture. The Buccaneer Hotel was an excellent choice and well-located just a few minutes' drive from the town. Quick Tips: I'd recommend having dinner at a great little restaurant called Savant; it's charming and has lots of character and great food. Best Way To Get Around: We opted for a very low-maintenance vacation, so we didn't rent a car or do much exploring. Instead, we relied on the hotel shuttle to get to and from the airport, and the hotel called us taxis every night to get to and from dinner. It was pretty cheap (around each trip) and v...Read More

The Buccaneer

Hotel

The Buccaneer Photo, St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands
If you like resorts, I would definitely recommend staying at the Buccaneer. The hotel is huge and sprawling, and has pretty much everything you could ask for: a beautiful golf course, two beaches with all imaginable water sports, tennis courts, a few different restaurants ranging from casual to high-end, and more. Our room, in a section of the resort called The Doubloons, was huge, modern, and beautiful and had a large terrace with ocean and sunset views. The beds were super-comfortable and the bathroom was huge, with a giant Jacuzzi tub - very nice! Although the room was far from the main lobby and restaurant, it was right next to the beach and a smaller, more casual beachside r...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on August 19, 2005

The Buccaneer
Estate Shoys
St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands
1(800) 255-3881

Savant

Restaurant | "Savant's"

Savant Photo, St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands
I loved this restaurant. It's small, charming, and totally unassuming, not at all fancy or formal. We sat inside because the back-garden courtyard was being used for a private party, but I took a peek, and it looked lovely.

The food is a fusion of Caribbean and Asian, with all sorts of interesting flavor combos to choose from. There is lots of fresh fish and seafood on the menu. It was hard to decide!

I ended up with the fresh tuna tartare appetizer, which was divine, and the mixed seafood Thai curry, which was really flavorful, spicy, and delicious. Topped off by a huge wine list to choose from, Savant was a perfect choice for dinner.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on August 19, 2005

Savant
4C Hospital St
Christiansted, St. Croix 00820
+1 340 713 8666

Buccaneer

Attraction | "Buccaneer Beach"

Buccaneer Photo, St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands
I really enjoyed the beach at The Buccaneer. It was a wide crescent of soft sand lined with palm trees, with plenty of lounge chairs to stretch out in. I went snorkeling two of the four days we were there and saw TONS of fish - conveniently, there's a reef just a bit offshore, so it's really fast and easy to get to all the coral and fish.

The only thing that freaked me out a bit was the many barracuda swimming ominously around, which kind of comes with the territory. As long as you don't wear shiny jewelry, you're pretty much safe, but they're still a bit spooky! Overall, the snorkeling was terrific and the beach was great.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on August 19, 2005