New Orleans Journals

3-Week Business Trip to the French Quarter

A July 2005 trip to New Orleans by simplerich

Napoleon House Bar & Cafe Photo, New Orleans, Louisiana More Photos
Quote: Three weeks of eating my way through the French Quarter and checking out historical plaques and buildings, and I'm not halfway done yet

3-Week Business Trip to the French Quarter

Eating fast food in the French Quarter is possible, but ranks up there as one of the highest forms of sin. The food here is outstanding. Between the po-boys at Acme, the beignets at Cafe Du Monde, muffuletta at either Central Grocery or Napoleon House, and surprisingly good Creole Kosher Kitchen on Chartres, there's no reason to ever eat at Krystal, Popeye’s, or McDonald’s. Those three are to be found, though, if your kids insist on something familiar once in a while. I ate my way up and down the streets, always turning around at Jackson Square, a place I could spend another 3 days in and still not get enough of, and working my way back looking for another great cup of coffee. Quick Tips:...Read More

Acme Oyster House

They have the best po-boys in town. I didn't have them from every place in town, but did have quite a few, and these were my favorite. I recommend the half and half shrimp and oyster dressed.

Acme Oyster House
724 Iberville St.

Brennan's

Brennan's Photo, New Orleans, Louisiana
This is where Bananas Foster was invented, and still the best place to get it in my opinion. I was on a budget and had the soup and salad and Bananas Foster, and it came in under $30 with a drink. It was worth it, though. Watching them make it is the fun part. It is worth the trip.

Brennan's
417 Royal St
+1 504 525 9711

Cafe Du Monde

Restaurant | "Café du Monde"

Cafe Du Monde Photo, New Orleans, Louisiana
This is a world-famous coffee-and-donut stand. The beignets are, of course, the standard by which all others are judged. The coffee was excellent and the people-watching fun. Go early, though, as after about 8am, it starts filling up.

Cafe Du Monde
800 Decatur Street
New Orleans, Louisiana 70116

Napoleon House Bar & Cafe

Restaurant | "Napoleon House Bar & Cafe"

Napoleon House Bar & Cafe Photo, New Orleans, Louisiana
This is the home of the heated muffuletta. Get a half of one and a glass of wine, sit in the courtyard, and just enjoy the company and soft classical music. Even in the summer it's nice there. If you have room, which I only did once, enjoy an Italian ice as well.

Napoleon House Bar & Cafe
500 Chartres St
+1 504 524 9752

Central Grocery Co.

Central Grocery Co. Photo, New Orleans, Louisiana
This is the home of the muffuletta, and it's great. Go early. Get the muff to go, do some browsing through the market just down Decatur from there, and eat it later. What I'm saying is that it's good fresh, but get it to go and eat it out along the river or in Jackson Square. Don't just sit in a crowded (people-on-top-of-you close) grocery store when there's all of the French Quarter to see. I wouldn't try to eat it while walking, though. It would get all over you.

Central Grocery Co.
923 Decatur St.
New Orleans, Louisiana 70116

Mother's

The ordering process is strange, but there's a man at the door to explain it to you. This was the first place I ate in New Orleans, and it was a good introduction to both the pace of dining in New Orleans and the food. The food is good. The pace is almost uniformly not fast. Dining in New Orleans isn't about fast food, even at a fast-food place. It's about the eating. Don't eat fast. Don't think you're going to eat fast. Eat to enjoy it and the company. Oh, I recommend the ham.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on August 17, 2005

Mother's
401 Poydras St.

Creole Kosher Kitchen Photo, New Orleans, Louisiana
Gideon, the owner/chef, is great. His family is great. His homemade sausage in his gumbo is great. His rosemary chicken is great. I ate there three times, and he introduced me to his wife and three kids, all really friendly and with ready smiles. He moved here to Chartres Street and the Quarter, I think, 20 years ago and has done really well for himself.

It's a comfortable, not huge, restaurant. I think there are six, maybe seven tables, and all have views of the kitchen. But that means you never have to wait long for a refill on your drink, right?

Creole Kosher Kitchen