Eagle River Journals

North Woods Summer Vacay

A July 2005 trip to Eagle River by Jypsies32

Quote: This journal includes tips specific to Eagle River, Wisconsin, a great spot for an outdoorsy summer vacation. Eagle River is ideal for boaters, anglers, and those who can appreciate the lovely summer weather of the northern United States.

North Woods Summer Vacay

Eagle River is a small town in the northern woods of Wisconsin. It is touted as the snowmobile capitol of the US, but is a lovely place to visit in late July, early August. For years, my family has stayed at Chanticleer Inn, which offers cabin, hotel, and condo rentals right on (or near) the water. We usually have a boat for such trips, and I would recommend this type of vacation for families who enjoy boating, fishing, hiking, and so forth. The Inn also has tennis courts, and there is excellent golfing in the area. My younger brother was bummed that there were no ATV rentals in the summer. Apparently, snowmobile pollution is enough! The muskie is the most desired fish to catch, but the fishing was pr...Read More

Chanticleer Inn

Hotel

We stayed in a condo decorated with a North Woods theme. I appreciated the little extra touches the owners had incorporated into the decor--bear stencils, canoe motifs, etc.-- but basically it was a no-frills unit with no dishwasher, a small stove, three working televisions, an A/C unit, and a fan. It did have an upstairs/downstairs bathroom unit and was extremely clean. It also has a collection of movies to watch, which we all enjoyed. The Inn has a coin-operated laundry room, a dining facility, a beer garden, tennis courts, boat slips, and a beach, so that's pretty great. It seems like a great place for those who might want to snowmobile as well. In fact, I'm pretty sure our condo (unit no. 266) ...Read More

Chanticleer Inn
1458 E. Dollar Lake Rd.

Steggy's Great Food

Restaurant | "Steggy's"

Steggy's is the perfect Midwestern diner. They boast of their homemade rootbeer which has a rich vanilla flavor, almost like an ice cream float after the ice cream has melted. They also had excellent cheeseburgers, breaded mushrooms, chicken gyros, and french fries. I recommend this place for those who like A&W in the summertime.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on August 8, 2005

Steggy's Great Food
1010 E. Wall St.
715/479-1212

Joyce's Cakes & Cheesecakes

Restaurant | "Joyce's Cakes & Cheesecakes"

This is a recommendation for a bakery. It is NOT an eat-in place, but offers an excellent array of homemade cookies, pies, cakes, and éclairs! We were having a birthday party and so went in for a cake. We purchased a lemon-lime Splash cake, which was a lemon cake with buttercream icing and key lime filling. YUM! They also had a Dreamcicle cake, which was also enticing, but the key lime won out! I think that if I had been there longer, I definitely would have gone back for an éclair or TWO!

Joyce's Cakes & Cheesecakes
Downtown Eagle River
Eagle River, Wisconsin

Restaurant at the Chanticleer Inn

Restaurant | "Chanticleer Inn Restaurant"

We had the most awesome waitress. She had this wonderful Romanian accent and actually worked as a bank teller at the grocery store in town! She was probably the most memorable part of our meal, but the food was good, too. The inn offers the kind of cuisine you think of when you think of your childhood definition of "fancy." You know: glass salad plates with mixed greens and the kind of blue-cheese dressing that has crumbles, salty steak, and slightly overcooked baked potatoes. My husband ordered some ravioli with sausage, which looked interesting, but most of us stuck with steaks or pasta. They gave us HUGE servings! It is a nice dining experience for boaters who want to treat themselves to a lake cru...Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on August 8, 2005

Restaurant at the Chanticleer Inn
1458 E. Dollar Lake

Tremblay's Sweet Shop

Restaurant | "Tremblay's"

Tremblay's is a candy shop located in downtown Eagle River. Their peanut butter fudge is excellent, and they offer samples. Their homemade red licorice is a must-try for red licorice lovers. Soft and flavorful. Willy Wonka would approve.

Tremblay's Sweet Shop
119 E. Wall Street
715/479-8488

Anvil Lake State Park

Attraction | "Hiking"

Dappled light. Tall birches. Ferny undergrowth. Cool. Not hilly, but you have to keep watch underfoot for stumps, etc. Not too much wildlife visible on our hike, but this part of the wilderness is known for black squirrels, eagles, loons, and bears (I hope you don't run into one of those!).

Anvil Lake State Park
Nicolet National Forest
715/479-2827

Eagle River Country Club

Attraction | "Twilight Golf"

The course is lovely, almost bucolic. The greens are in excellent condition and the holes are fairly straightforward, but challenging. It feels like you are golfing in the woods. Deer sometimes join in on the fun! The twilight deal includes golfing until they basically kick you off the course. My college-aged brother and his friend enjoyed playing 30 holes of golf!

Eagle River Country Club
527 East McKinley
Eagle River, Wisconsin 54521

Okay, I'm more of a shopper than a hiker, and I have to recommend the Senior Citizen's Craft Center in downtown Eagle River as the sort of spot that epitomizes small towns. The store employs seniors and sells handicrafts made by the elderly. I purchased a bun warmer, a magnet, an awesome homemade pillow, a baby hat, and a coin purse. All of the prices are outrageously low, and while the quality of the work varied, there are definitely some steals there! It is a good place for a Packer fan. The store needs support, because the government is withdrawing funding. At least you should go in and sign their petition!

About the Writer