United States Journals

The West Coast

An August 2005 trip to United States by tammyhayano

Travel Photo by IgoUgo memberMore Photos
Quote: What I've been up to in the past 3 weeks...

The West Coast

Back in the States in mid-July, my family and I took a weekend trip to Sycamore Hot Springs located near Pismo Beach, California. In the three days I was there, I took a yoga class, a pilates class, went on a hike to the Sycamore viewpoint (of the coast), and soaked in hot springs. I had forgotten how much I missed the smell of pine (or cedar?) trees and had to adjust to the 'cool' temperature of 79F. (Good thing I had my fleece jacket with me.) The following weekend, my family and I took another weekend trip--this time to North Lake Tahoe. During my time there, I biked along the Truckee River from Tahoe City to Squaw Valley, checked out the arts and wine festival, went shopping, and saw the...Read More
Luxurious condos with full service--daily housekeeping, reception desk, underground parking, very comfy beds, even comfier pillows, sauna, Jacuzzi, balcony, fully equipped kitchen. Excellent value.

Village at Squaw Valley
PO BOX 2025
Olympic Valley, California 96146
530-584-1000

Rubicon Deli

They had the best sandwiches ever!! You have to walk through a gift shop/gardening store to get to the deli counter, and there's usually a long line full of locals. Their sandwiches are pretty unique--you can choose from pesto bread, wheat, jalapeno, or cheddar; the kind of mustard you want, horseradish, wine, or cranberry; and of course, the usual condiments and meat. The serving is huge, so I usually get a half of a sandwich and then a homemade cookie. This is one of the best-kept local secrets!

Olympic Bike Shop

I've used these guys about three times, and they are always super cool: efficient, helpful, friendly, and a great value. There are a lot of other places you can rent from, but I highly recommend going here. They're conveniently located on the main street in Tahoe City.

Olympic Bike Shop
620 North Lake Blvd.
Tahoe City, California 96145

Stanley Park

Attraction | "Stanley Park and Beyond"

Stanley Park Photo, Vancouver, British Columbia
Whoever designed the bike trails in Vancouver was a perfectionist. The paved roads are designated for cyclists in one lane and walkers in the other lane. A two-hour (?) bike ride in Stanley Park will take you around various beaches, parks, and other scenic areas. It's possible to extend the trip to other places--almost everywhere is so bike-friendly! Not much uphill (thank goodness), and it's fun to make stops along the way. An Italian gelato ice cream off 4th Street in Kitsilano is the best way to end the day.

Stanley Park
843 Avison Way
Vancouver, British Columbia V5K 1A1

Squamish

Located an hour from Vancouver (on the way to Whistler), Squamish is rock-climbing heaven. There's endless granite, and most routes have some type of crack that you edge along. It's quite easy to top rope by walking around from the other side and setting in the anchor. Of course, you can multi-pitch, but it didn't seem like there were many bolts set in (trads were more popular). The "town" is a few miles down the road, so you'll want to bring your own food, water, and anything else you'll want for the day.

Cypress Island

Story/Tip

My friends Kristy and Sean got married on Cypress Island. To get there, my sister and I drove 2 hours from Seattle to Anacortes, then took a 30-minute ferry ride to the island. The wedding was perfect and designed in a way that reflected Kristy and Sean's outdoor spirit and laid-back personalities. There were blankets laid out on the meadow for lounging around in, a volleyball net set up for post-ceremony games, people playing the ukelele, and a barbecue grilling up salmon and chicken. Kristy and Sean were married with the backdrop of Cypress trees and the water, and a bald eagle even soard overhead as the minister of justice spoke! It was a beautiful day and a wonderful wedding.

Lynn Canyon

Story/Tip

This is a great place for walking and swimming, and it's free. It's located in North Vancouver. Once you get past the suspension bridge, the crowds disperse.