Antigua Journals

Budget Guatemala

A December 2004 trip to Antigua by unohuu

Quote: A brief 10-day trip to Antigua, Agua, and Lake Atitlan

Budget Guatemala

Central Park in Antigua is fabulous for people-watching. The hosts of the hotel Casa del Mundo were great.

Don't be afraid to take the tourist buses. They are inexpensive, relatively safe, and provide an opportunity to meet some very interesting people.
There are simple sleeping rooms in a quiet, secure building. The owner and his brother are your hosts. The service is unobtrusive. There is nothing fancy about this place, but it has great access to everything. The central market is right across the street. The shower has hot water, but it uses an electric heater and is not what we US citizens expect.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 24, 2005

Posada Juma Ocag
Alameda de Santa Lucia 13
(502) 8323109

Our room was small but clean and very safe. We had hot running shower, which my wife really appreciated. The entrance was secure and there was a pleasant patio where one could sit.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on July 24, 2005

Posada La Merced
7 Avenida Norte, 43A
Antigua, Guatemala

Heavenly. This is one place I highly recommend if you get anywhere near Panajachel. It is quiet and remote. I spent an afternoon sitting and napping in a hammock as I looked out over Lake Atitlan. A wonderful experience that included family-style dining. A great way to meet people from all over the world.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on July 24, 2005