Hawaii Journals

MAUI - HAWAII

A July 2005 trip to Hawaii by Copple

Kahana Falls Photo, Hawaii, United States More Photos
Quote: Maui has more activites than you could possibly do in one week. My family visited Maui for the first time this July and had a great time. We were fortunate to grab a "last call" for Maui. The following is a brief summary of our summer 2005 vacation.

MAUI - HAWAII

RAINBOW Photo, Hawaii, United States
Maui has a lot of things to do on the island. We stayed in the Kaanapali Beach area for most of our stay. Our timeshare was Kahana Falls, which is located in the town in Kahana. You will see many of the things we did when you read my journal. This is a beautiful island with lots of wonderful views, rainbows, beaches, activities, and restaurants.

Make your reservations with your RCI Guest Services representatives. They seem to get the best discounts on various activities. They are very knowledgeable about the island and what is offered.

A rental car is a must to get around the island and to get to see the beautiful beaches.

Kahana Falls

Hotel

Kahana Falls Photo, Hawaii, United States
Best Things Nearby:Beaches - Kaanapali, Napili Bay, Kapalua Bay, Whaler's Village, Lahaina Town, lots of restaurantsBest Things About the Resort:Clean, friendly, helpful, beautiful landscapingResort Experience:Kahana Falls is a 40-minute drive from the airport. One thing I do want to tell you before I start my overview is that it does rain every day at Kahana Falls. You will see beautiful rainbows and beautiful landscaping. I asked at guest services and they told me Kahana Falls is situated in a valley in such a way that it rains every day. You can drive 1 mile south or 1 mile north and be out of the rain. Kahana Falls is a smaller timeshare, but the da...Read More

Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.

Restaurant | "Bubba Gump's Shrimp Market"

Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. Photo, Maui, Hawaii
Bubba Gump's was one of our favorite places to eat while on Maui. The restaurant is based on the movie Forrest Gump. Lots of favorite shrimp recipes. My favorite was the mahi mahi. My husband loved the coconut shrimp. Prices are a little steep, but all are on Maui. We were eating by the ocean window one night and a surfer came paddling by. Free refills on soft drinks. Waiters/waitresses play trivia games about the movie while you wait for food. Don't forget to stop by the gift shop after you eat.

Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.
889 Front Street
+1 808 661 3111

Giovanni's

Giovanni's Photo, Hawaii, United States
Giovanni's is located right before the Whaler's Village Hwy 30. This is a casual open-air dining experience for families and large parties. The restaurant has extensive southern Italian cuisine, moderately priced. An "early bird" $10.00 special every day but Sunday is available. There is also a full bar with extensive wine list. This was a great place at a reasonable price. Our favorite was the seafood pasta - the special the evening we went.

BJ's Chicago Pizzeria Photo, Lahaina, Hawaii
This is an award-winning pizza restaurant located on Maui. The pizzeria is located on Lahaina Front Street with an awesome view of the boats coming in and out of the Lahaina harbor. Located right above the T-Shirt Factory, you must walk upstairs to get to the restaurant. Lining the stairs are captioned photos of Lahaina's history. The restaurant offers pizza ($8 - $25), homemade sandwiches ($6 - $9), specialty salads ($4 - $8), pasta, and unique appetizers ($8 - $14). We had the Hawaiian (ham and pineapple) on half, and sausage and mushroom on half. Great pizza! Don't leave the restaurant without trying the Pizookie 'n Cream. This is a favorite. It is a baked, hot, and rich chocolate-chip or...Read More

BJ's Chicago Pizzeria
730 Front St (At the seawall)

Buzz's Wharf

Buzz's Wharf Photo, Hawaii, United States
This restaurant is 30 minutes from Kaanapali on Highway 30. The menu is full of choices to choose from, with the specialty being prawns. Lunch is served from 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m., and dinner is served from 5:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. We choose the combo meal, which included appetizer, salad, meal of Mahi Mahi, and dessert. The combo meal was $24.95 each. My daughter and I shared, and was plenty of food for both of us. We had a great view of the harbor. Watching spear fisherman out in the harbor trying to catch fish was our entertainment.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on July 24, 2005

Buzz's Wharf
960 Front Street

Lahaina Fish Company

Restaurant | "Lahaina Fish Co."

Lahaina Fish Company Photo, Hawaii, United States
Lahaina Fish Company is located right in downtown Lahaina. The oceanfront dining is on two levels. I recommend the upper level for best view of the ocean. We found the menu to be a bit pricy. Several fish dishes were available with a price of $25 - $30 each. We choose the fish and chips at a reasonable price of $17.95. There is one refill on soft drinks. Unless you are really wanting some special, high-priced seafood, stay away from this place.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on July 24, 2005

Lahaina Fish Company
831 Front St
+1 808 661 3472

PARASAIL KAANAPALI

Parasail Kaanapali Photo, Hawaii, United States
Parasail Kaanapali is the best on Maui in the Kaanapali Beach area. I called several other companies and this was the best - highest and cheapest. The company is locally owned. The parasail ride takes you up 900 feet. Cost for the ride was $35/person. My husband and son rode and my daughter and I rode. This was our favorite activity of our trip. If you use a credit card, there is a $5 service fee. The ride was safe, fun, gentle, and dry. Take-off and landing is on the boat. Phone is 808-669-6555. I took my own camera, but you can have the boat/helper take pictures for $15. The company also sells $5 t-shirts after the ride. A cheap memento to remember the ride.

Kaulana

Dolphins Photo, Hawaii, United States
The Kaulana is a large catamaran that takes a 2-hour tour to over to Lani. Lani is an island that is home to lots of dolphins and beautiful snorkeling. Our trip did not have snuba due to the fires in which the certified snuba instructor could not get to the harbor. We snorkeled, kayaked, and swim with dolphins right near the island of Lani. The crew served a lunch of hamburgers and hot dogs. There is also a continental breakfast included, along with all the soft drinks you can drink. You can check out their website at www.kaulana-of-maui.com. The cost of the trip was $75 per adult. Children 12 and under are free. The trip leaves at 8:00 a.m. and returns to the dock at 3:00 p.m.

Boss Frogs

Story/Tip

Boss Frogs Photo, Hawaii, United States
We found Boss Frogs to be the most convenient place on Maui to rent boogie boards and get other beach equipment. The cost for boogie boards was $15 for the week. You can rent snorkel sets for $1.50 a day or $9.00 for the week. Many people were renting surfboards here at the cost of $20 per day or $75 for the week. There are six locations on Maui: Lahaina, Kihei (South & North), Kaanapali, Kahana, and Napili. Check out their website at www.bossfrog.com

Napili Bay Beach

Story/Tip

Napili Bay Photo, Hawaii, United States
Napili Bay Beach is home to some great snorkeling and close to a sea-turtle cove. We found this beach by talking to the Guest Services lady at Kahana Falls. The best place to park for the beach is right behind Napili Shores Resort. Talking to individuals on the beach led us to a sea-turtle cove. The cove is right behind the Honokeana Cove Resort. This is a small hike from the beach, so make sure you have water shoes. We parked at the Honokeana Cove Resort and walked down to the cove for some of the best views of the sea turtles on Maui.