Kauai Journals

Captured by Kauai

A June 2005 trip to Kauai by txteachers

Makai Club Photo, Kauai, Hawaii More Photos
Quote: This was incredible! Two weeks in Kauai -- my husband is ready to move! If you're looking for quiet, tropical beauty, then this is the place!

Captured by Kauai

Kauai Photo, Kauai, Hawaii
Husband's highlight: inter-island helicopter tour (w/o doors) - this was incredible!

My highlight: kayaking to secret falls!

Together, we loved scuba diving at Tunnels and Koloa Landing, watching the birds, and enjoying the peacefulness!

Get a copy of The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook, Kauai Revealed by A. Doughty & H. Friedman. At the airport, there are lots of travel brochures -- pick one up; there are many coupons available.

Scuba tanks are available at Princeville Hotel on North Shore. The staff at Seasport Scuba in Wailua were wonderfully helpful.

You really must have a rental car.

Makai Club

Hotel | "The Makai Club"

Makai Club Photo, Kauai, Hawaii
Best Things Nearby:beautiful mountains, ocean, views, and beachesBest Things About the Resort:superb staff, views, quietness, no crowdsResort Experience:If you're looking for a beautiful, relaxing setting for your vacation, this is the place! The staff bends over backwards to meet your needs. The condo gives you a feeling of being secluded. The decor is tropical and pretty, and the kitchen is wonderfully equipped. If you're looking for sparkling new or a huge pool to lie next to - this is not it. We wished our second week had been here instead of Pahio at Bali Hai Villas! Unit Type: 1 Bedro...Read More

Makai Club
4180 Lei O Papa Road
Kauai, Hawaii
1(800) 367-7090

PAHIO Bali Hai Villas

Hotel | "Pahio @ Bali Hai Villas"

PAHIO Bali Hai Villas Photo, Lihue, Hawaii
Best Things Nearby:mountains, beaches, viewsBest Things About the Resort:beautiful condo and beautiful poolResort Experience:The condo itself is very contemporary and quite luxurious. But we had just spent a week at the Makai Club and had an incredible view; now we just had a view of another condo. If you are looking for a magnificent-looking condo and a pool to lie by all day, then this is for you. The kitchen is equipped extremely well, with a dining room table and bar stools, and there’s also a DVD, CD, stereo, and TV in the bedroom and living room. The bedroom is closed off nicely. The bathroom has a nice-sized dressing area and a great jacuzzi tub. U...Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on July 23, 2005

PAHIO Bali Hai Villas
4970 Pepelani Loop
Princeville, Hawaii 96722

Outfitters Kauai

Attraction | "Kayaking to Secret Falls"

I loved this trip - our guide, Pete, was super! This was an easy kayak up the river, and a very easy hike. It was a little more difficult kayaking back against a headwind -- but still not bad! If I went back, I would go on my own, but I'm glad it was guided for my first trip; I would have gotten lost without him!

If you book with them, just make sure what time and where they are picking you up -- we had a lengthy wait because of a third party making our reservations, but they were very comforting by telephone.

Outfitters Kauai
2827A Poipu Road
Poipu Beach, Hawaii 96756
+1 808 742 9667; +1

Scuba Diving

Story/Tip

We dove Tunnels Beach, Princeville Hotel beach, and Koloa Landing in Poipu. It is incredible! The easiest diving is Princeville and Koloa Landing. Do your research before you go, then ask questions at the dive shops to get specific details. The visibility while we were here (late June, early July 2005) was from 30–50 feet. The water temperature was 77F, which is chilly. I wore a 3mm farmer jane and jacket. A skin is really a must-not because of coral, but lava rocks at entry/exit points. Diversity of fish is wonderful and lots of turtles!

Inter-Island Helicopters

Attraction | "Inter-Island Helicopter Tour"

Inter-Island Helicopters Photo, Kauai, Hawaii
This is expensive, but an absolutely awesome experience. My husband swears this is the best thing he has ever done! No doors on this helicopter! It was absolutely magnificent. What a wonderful way to see Kauai. You can talk to the pilot and ask all the questions you want. You can take pictures; the pilot even hovers a bit where you're taking a picture!

Inter-Island Helicopters