Cable Beach Journals

A Wonderful Week in the Bahamas

A July 2005 trip to Cable Beach by landrie

Wyndham Nassau Resort and Crystal Palace Casino Photo, Nassau, Bahamas More Photos
Quote: My wife and I flew from Atlanta to New Providence, while my daughter flew from Seattle. We rendezvoused at the Nassau airport to begin an enchanted week at one of my favorite places in the Caribbean.

A Wonderful Week in the Bahamas

Pool bar Photo, Cable Beach, Bahamas
We would start a day with a ham-and-cheese croissant and some fruit from Crystal Sweets or a big breakfast at Johnny Canoe's. Then we would head to the pool or the beach for some sun, swimming, and tropical drinks. Lunch was usually back at Johnny Canoe's, and then we would head to Paradise Island or downtown Nassau to shop and see the sights. Atlantis is definitely worth visiting, and for a good meal in town, we loved Cafe Matisse.Quick Tips: There are several coupon books and excellent maps available in most of the shops and also a bunch of brochures at the concierge and downstairs behind the escalators.Best Way To Get Around: We enjoyed taxi rides to and from the airport, for g...Read More

Wyndham Nassau Resort and Crystal Palace Casino

Hotel | "Wyndham Cable Beach"

Wyndham Nassau Resort and Crystal Palace Casino Photo, Nassau, Bahamas
Because our room wasn't ready and we made a fuss, the first night they put us in a corner suite. The view was incredible and the room was spacious, with a Jacuzzi. The next morning, we moved from the H tower to the J tower, to the ninth floor. The room was fine, with two double beds, another beautiful view, and a deck. The toilet/shower/tub area was separate from the double-sink dressing area, which was nice. A small refrigerator came in handy. The maid was timely and thorough.

+242-327-6200

Wyndham Nassau Resort and Crystal Palace Casino

Hotel | "Wyndham Nassau Resort"

Wyndham Nassau Resort and Crystal Palace Casino Photo, Nassau, Bahamas
Best Things Nearby:Paradise Island, Atlantis, Blue Lagoon Island, downtown Nassau, beaches everywhere, Johnny Canoe's restaurant, and the straw marketBest Things About the Resort:The view from the rooms, the pool, the slide, the beach, the shops, Crystal Sweets for easy treats, the buffet, and the casinoResort Experience:People say it's seen a better day, but we found it to be clean, comfortable, and enjoyable. The worst part was getting a room. The front desk refers you to a Royal Holiday agent, and they can't seem to get you a room. We arrived at 6pm and were told our room wouldn't be ready for an hour. At 7pm, we were told our room wouldn't be ready for...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 11, 2005

+242-327-6200

Atlantis

Hotel

Atlantis Photo, Cable Beach, Bahamas
Best Things Nearby:Atlantis seems to be a destination all its own. We didn't stay there, but we did take the tour of the Lagoon Tunnel and the Dig.Best Things About the Resort:The total layout is astounding, with huge aquariums, glorious architecture, interior decorating, and landscaping.Resort Experience:We were awestruck. The tour begins with the Lagoon Tunnel, which seems like not enough for the price of the tour, but then we wondered to the casino and on to the Dig, which is much better than the Lagoon Tunnel. From there we wondered around the grounds and really couldn't believe our eyes. The waterfalls, the beaches, and sculptures are breathtaking. W...Read More

Atlantis
Paradise Island

Café Johnny Canoe

Restaurant | "Johnny Canoes"

Café Johnny Canoe Photo, Cable Beach, Bahamas
This was our favorite place to eat. I grossed my daughter out by starting with a conch salad. It's really more of a cold tomato/onion soup with (raw?) conch parts floating in it, and a bit chewy, but I was determined to try the local fare. She enjoyed their club sandwich and salad, fish sandwich, and French toast, but her favorite was the local dessert, Guava Duff. The atmosphere of this place is colorful, friendly, and full of Junkanoo spirit.

Café Johnny Canoe
Nassau Beach Hotel West Bay Street

Cafe Matisse

Cafe Matisse Photo, Nassau, Bahamas
We had reservations at 6pm but had become hot and bothered from shopping. I walked up Bank Lane, passed the police station, and saw what appeared to be a hole-in-the-wall place with a faded awning. But when I opened the door, I was amazed. What a lovely, cool place full of Matisse! It was only 5:15pm, and they obviously weren't open for business, but the bartender graciously invited us to sit down, relax, and cool off with a glass of wine or tropical delight. Dinner was astounding. I started with a parmesan appetizer that was thick, rich, and warm. My daughter had the best grilled snapper over spinach in a sauce that was the perfect compliment. I had a delicious crab risotto, and my wife, who ...Read More

Cafe Matisse
Bank Lane Behind Parliament Square

Crystal Sweets

This place is handy and tasty. We got an ice cream the first night and frequently got breakfast from here. Ham-and-cheese croissant, fresh fruit, oatmeal, and pastries are all available and quite good.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 12, 2005

Crystal Sweets
Marriot Crystal Palace
+1 242 327 6200

The only reason we ate here was because we got several free dinners from the hotel for our room not being ready and from some beach folks who left before using their coupons. This is a very nice buffet with wonderful choices. I pigged out on the smoked salmon and shrimp and enjoyed a variety of veggies and fruit. Entrees change daily and desserts are good too. Watch for coupons for half off on certain nights of the week.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 12, 2005

Seaside Buffet at Wyndham Nassau Resort Crystal Palace Casino

Dolphin Encounters

Attraction | "Swim with the Dolphins"

Dolphin Encounters Photo, Cable Beach, Bahamas
It was unbelievable. I was an observer for $20, and my wife and daughter swam with, hugged, kissed, fed, danced, and got a thrilling foot-push ride from the dolphins. They were all smiles. I was able to photograph most of what was going on, and the facility provides a complete video of your personal experience for $48 and also snapshots as well.

Dolphin Encounters
P.O. Box SS 6257
+242-363-1003

Cable Beach

Attraction | "Beaching"

Cable Beach Photo, Nassau, Bahamas
Lots of palm trees and a large lagoon. A few steps away is another beach swimming area where you can swim, snorkel, catch a parasail ride, rent a jet ski, play volleyball, or catch a boat to another island. Drinks are delivered from the Flamingo Bar and Grill.

Cable Beach
Paradise Island

Senor Frog's

Senor Frog's Photo, Nassau, Bahamas
After shopping at the straw market and getting a little overheated, we thought we would slip into Senor Frog's for a cool one. It was crowded and not very cool, but quite rowdy. It took quite awhile to get a drink, and we didn't stay long.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on July 12, 2005

Senor Frog's
Slot # 443
+242-323-1777

Nassau Straw Market

Attraction | "Straw Market"

Nassau Straw Market Photo, Nassau, Bahamas
It's crowded, it's hot, and it's full of merchandise. If you're patient, you can get a reasonable price. We bought stuff for the kids and gifts for relatives. My daughter fell in love with a colorful basket/purse, and after starting at around $30, she eventually got it for $15.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on July 12, 2005