Sedona Journals

Sedona-A Mysterious Experience

Best of IgoUgo

A September 1997 trip to Sedona by unorthodox traveler

Chapel of the Holy Cross Photo, Sedona, Arizona More Photos
Quote: While travelling around Arizona, I stopped in the town of Sedona.While having lunch, I struck up a conversation with a women who was clearly in a daze...claiming that she had experienced a mysterious, mystical happening in a nearly canyon. I was intrigued enough to check it out.

Sedona-A Mysterious Experience

Sedona Photo, Sedona, Arizona
My most memorable event is hiking the Boynton Canyon Vortex(read my additional journal). I also enjoyed hanging out in the funky town of Sedona, visiting the famous Chapel of the Holy Cross, and exploring the Oak Creek Canyon, including the Slide Rock State Park.Quick Tips: It can get very hot in Arizona,especially in August. To hike into a canyon, leave early in the morning to beat the heat...take plenty of water since there are no facilities in most places. I tend to appreciate exploring alone to avoid having to negotiate or compromise my intuitive plans, feelings, thoughts, decisions. Exploring Sedona was definitely a place to explore alone...and then to share experiences with others later...Read More

Sedona Motel

Hotel

This is an unassuming,unpretentious motel located right on the highway. I chose it because it was reasonable-$50 a night and I needed a decent sleep after days of camping.

My room was pleasant and clean with a modern bathroom and a comfortable bed. My only complaint was that this motel is located right on the highway and was somewhat noisy during the night hours.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on January 8, 2001

Sedona Motel
218 Highway 179
Sedona, Arizona

After spending one night in the Sedona Motel, I moved to a National Forest Service Campground...Bootlegger. I prefer to camp, to be outdoors, to experience the sounds and smells of nature.

This is a very basic campground with only cold water and bathrooms without showers. The cost was $8 a night and the campsites are small and very crowded. There are fireplace grills for cooking.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on January 8, 2001

Bootlegger Campground
US Highway 89A
Sedona, Arizona

Hideaway Restaurant

Restaurant | "The Hideaway Restaurant"

This restaurant may not be easy to find...it is located in back of the shopping plaza. I stumbled on this place when I was walking around town and decided to check it out...a good move.

This casual family restaurant is a popular place for locals as well as tourists who hear about its fine reputation. They serve pizza, subs, spaghetti, and other Italian foods. The food is just ok but the views are good from their outside deck. Also, this is the place where I met the woman who had experienced her mysterious 'happening' at Boynton Canyon so its easy to remember and have positive feelings about this place.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on January 8, 2001

Hideaway Restaurant
251 State Route 179
+1 928 282 4204

Chapel of the Holy Cross

Attraction | "The Chapel of the Holy Cross"

Chapel of the Holy Cross Photo, Sedona, Arizona
This unique, and very popular tourist site, is built right into the red rock on a hill overlooking a valley and situated between two large sandstone peaks. The exterior chapel blends in so well with the surrounding glory of nature that I was surprised at how basic the interior was...almost disappointed until I spent more time sitting in a pew and taking in its simplicity. After a period of time, the 90 foot cross touched some spiritual nerves within me.

I parked my car on the road below and walked up the steep hill to the chapel.I was fortunate in visiting this place in late afternoon and apparently avoided the tour buses.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on January 8, 2001

Chapel of the Holy Cross
780 Chapel Road (east Of State Route 179)

Oak Creek Canyon

Attraction | "Split Rock State Park"

This is a very popular park for tourists. On the very hot day I was there, hundreds of people of all ages were having fun sliding down a natural water slide. Over millions of years, the forces and power of nature has worn a 30 foot water slide between very slippery red rock walls along Oak Creek Canyon. This gift from nature is appreciated by hundreds every day. The water is cold. Also,its helpful,almost necessary to wear a pair of old sneakers to save your feet from the sometimes rocky bottom. Also, its best to wear heavy shorts/bathing suit due to the abrasions of sliding down the chute. Getting to the slide is easy...park your car along the highway and walk through the app...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on January 8, 2001

Oak Creek Canyon
331 Forest Rd

Hike to the Boynton Canyon

Story/Tip

Sedona Photo, Sedona, Arizona
As mentioned in my description of this journal, I met this young women in a restaurant in Sedona who shared with me her 'mysterious' experience in the Boynton Canyon the previous day. She was still in a trance-like state, and my initial thoughts were that she was high on some drug. She explained in detail that she had hiked into Boynton Canyon and had experienced the intense energy of the power vortex which left her feeling euphoric and deeply spiritual.She was heading back to California that day but claimed that the experience changed her life. After lunch, I found a bookstore in town and asked about this Vortex energy. Here I learned, through conversations and books, that Sedona is one of THE ...Read More