Pompano Beach Journals

Pompano Beach in Summertime

A June 2005 trip to Pompano Beach by susan alsup

Everglades Photo, Pompano Beach, Florida More Photos
Quote: South Florida in the summertime is definitely not for the people who fear the sun. However, for those who love the hot sun, warm nights, and gorgeous sunsets... go in summertime!

Pompano Beach in Summertime

Pompano Beach Photo, Pompano Beach, Florida
We often vacation in South Florida during the summertime, since it is least crowded during the hottest months. I must warn anyone who is not into sunbathing to resist summer months, because it is HOT and the sun can be vicious. However, for my husband, two teenage daughters, and me, this is paradise!

The first thing I do is grab all the local ads in search of coupons. It is amazing, the discounts for buy-one, get-one that are available in resort towns. We had discounts to restaurants, airboat rides, yacht tours, etc.

Everyone must have a vehicle with a good air-conditioner. Walking is limited during the day due to the heat.

Wyndham Royal Vista

Hotel | "Fairfield Santa Barbara Resort and Yacht Club"

Wyndham Royal Vista Photo, Pompano Beach, Florida
Best Things Nearby:Nearby is a beautiful, UNCROWDED beach, shopping, restaurants, etc.Best Things About the Resort:The units are beautifully decorated, extremely large, and management is professional.Resort Experience:I must caution you about the brochures of this place. Fairfield owns this resort, as well as two others nearby. The pictures show a combo of the best of all three resorts; therefore, ask about any particular amenities you desire, such as fitness center, which is located at the sister resort. Also, the views from the balcony are definitely overrated. You may get a harbor view or ocean view, but many buildings are sharing the scene. Also, the beach...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 6, 2005

Wyndham Royal Vista
1110 S Ocean Blvd Pompano Beach

Wyndham Santa Barbara Resort

Hotel | "Fairfield Santa Barbara Resort and Yacht Club"

Best Things Nearby:Nearby is a beautiful, UNCROWDED beach; shopping; restaurants; etc.Best Things About the Resort:The units are beautifully decorated and extremely large, and management is professional.Resort Experience:I must caution you about the brochures of Santa Barbara Yacht Club. Fairfield owns this resort, as well as two others nearby. The pictures show a combo of the best of all three resorts; therefore, ask about any particular amenities you desire, such as a fitness center, which is located at the sister resort. Also, the views from the balcony are definitely overrated. You may get a harbor or ocean view, but many buildings are sharing the scene. A...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 14, 2005

Wyndham Santa Barbara Resort
1301 S.ocean Blvd.

Flannigan's Seafood Bar and Grill

Restaurant | "Flannigans"

I had read all good reviews on this place, so we decided to try it. I appreciated the atmosphere with all the photos of fishermen and their great catches. Music included stuff from the sixties, such as Jimi Hendrix and the Doors, much to my teenager's woe. Everything seemed to be going as expected until they brought out the food. What a disappointment! It just was not very tasty. We really thought this was suppose to be a local haunt, but I cannot imagine anyone would come here for the food.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on July 5, 2005

Flannigan's Seafood Bar and Grill
2500 East Atlantic Blvd

Everglades Photo, Pompano Beach, Florida
We decided to drive to the Everglades and do a little airboat ride. Having heard about the giant mosquitoes the size of rats, we went armed with bug spray. It was lucky we did. Bugs were big! Since summer is the off-season, we were able to ride the airboat without others. There are several companies to choose from; however, we selected Everglades Island Airboats Tour (www.airboateverglades.com). We took the hour-long trip and had a coupon for five dollars off each one. This can be found online and in local ads. This was very thrilling, to say the least. Never have I been so close to a gator before in my life. The heat was tolerable as long as the craft was moving. It was pretty rough when it st...Read More
Lauderdale-By-The-Sea Photo, Pompano Beach, Florida
A few miles down hwy A1A from Pompano Beach is a lovely little town called Lauderdale-By-The-Sea. It is famous for the three reefs accessible from the beach for diving and snorkeling. We arrived too late to make it past the buoys, due to the rough current; however, locals said to come really early, before the tide comes in. Still, we had fun hanging out near the pier, watching the fishermen. There is also a little restaurant on the pier that makes good CHEAP hamburgers to order.