Falmouth Journals

Seaside Getaway on Cape Cod

A June 2005 trip to Falmouth by HF Hobson

The Clam Shack Photo, Falmouth, Massachusetts More Photos
Quote: Cape Cod is more than just T-shirt shops, beach novelty outlets, and pirate-themed miniature golf courses. There are still pockets of "quaint, little villages here and there," and my new favorite is Falmouth. With a vibrant history and tons of activities, Falmouth is the perfect weekend escape.
The Admiralty is a reasonably nice hotel. It's situated in the middle of everything on Route 28, and it is an easy jaunt to wherever you want to go. My room had two queen-size beds with a kitchen sink and mini fridge. It was very clean, and the bathtub was spacious for a hotel tub. The pools were well kept, and they laid out beach towels each morning. The continental breakfast consisted of cereals, danishes, and bagels, along with juice, tea, and coffee.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on June 28, 2005

The Admiralty Inn
51 Teaticket Highway
Falmouth, Massachusetts 02536

The Clam Shack

The Clam Shack Photo, Falmouth, Massachusetts
Belly up to the counter at this fried seafood shack (the name of the restaurant is right on the money) for some cheap, greasy, straight-out-of-the-ocean goodness. I had a fish sandwich, which melted in my mouth, no doubt because it was caught right outside the Clam Shack's window earlier that day. And I think all I paid was $3.95. Situated on a dock at the end of Falmouth Harbor, the scenery can't be beat. Dine on clam strips or fish-and-chips as you watch boats glide in and out of the harbor.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on June 28, 2005

The Clam Shack
227 Clinton Ave.
Falmouth, Massachusetts 02540

Seafood Sam's

Seafood Sam's Photo, Falmouth, Massachusetts
They make killa chowda! All I had here was chowder and a side salad, but I was as happy as a clam. At Sam's, you can get everything, from just a cob of corn all the way up through lazy man's lobster. Just approach the counter, place your order, and take your lobster pager. Once the lobster lights up and starts to vibrate, you know it's time for your grub.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on June 28, 2005

Seafood Sam's
356 Palmer Ave.
Falmouth, Massachusetts 02540

Arts Alive Festival

Arts Alive Festival Photo, Falmouth, Massachusetts
Right on Main Street, in front of the library, the Arts Alive! festival was taking place. Multiple stages featured singers, musicians, and dancers. Painters, quilters, photographers, and sculptors all displayed their work beneath a flock of white tents. And my favorite part was the scary guys on stilts promoting Falmouth's Harvest of Horrors haunted house.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on June 28, 2005

Arts Alive Festival
Peg Noonan Park and the Falmouth Public Library Lawn
Falmouth, Massachusetts Main Street

Scenic Falmouth and Woods Hole

Story/Tip

Nobska Lighthouse Photo, Falmouth, Massachusetts
Sometimes we find the most delightful retreats in places we never expect them. I was invited to a wedding on Cape Cod in late June. I immediately thought, "Ugh, traffic, T-shirt shops, and miniature golf;" this was the predicament of every summer vacation of my childhood years. My mother spent the whole year preparing for our summer vacations to the Cape. Bit by bit, she would stock up on soda, snacks, and beach toys. Then, in the last week before our departure, the linens would start amassing themselves like little soldiers in a formation of trash bags by the laundry room—bath towels, beach towels, dish towels, sheets, blankets, pillows, sleeping bags, and so on. Such were the preparations for a wee...Read More