Ao Nang Journals

Kayaking and Sunning in Ao Nang

A November 2004 trip to Ao Nang by Cauldar

Ao Nang Photo, Ao Nang, Thailand More Photos
Quote: After 2 weeks in Thailand without seeing a tropical beach, my girlfriend insisted that we find one. So, we bought a pair of tickets from Chiang Mai to Krabi and found this peaceful (if a bit touristy) corner of bliss - a welcome shift in scenery and rhythm, with some of the most beautiful beaches I've ever enjoyed.

Kayaking and Sunning in Ao Nang

Ao Nang Photo, Ao Nang, Thailand
The moment the white songthaew dropped me off, I knew that I'd arrived in a tourist town. Once a fishing village, Ao Nang has mobilized all of its long-tail fishing boats to the taxiing of tourists among the beaches and islands of this stunning landscape. The whole town is concentrated along a single, main road. Resort bungalows and high-end hotels cut into the 'protected' forest. Kayaking and snorkelling are popular with all resorts offering day-packages. More eco-friendly tours are offered by Sea Canoe and have an office on the main street at the far east end. Hundreds of rock climbing opportunities at Rai Lay. Just go to any guesthouse on the northern end of East Rai Lay. They ...Read More
Nongeed House Photo, Ao Nang, Thailand
My girlfriend and I boarded up here for the length of our stay in Ao Nang. We visited at the tail end of the rainy season so we didn't have to make reservations beforehand. Prices varied based on air conditioning and whether or not one wanted a television. Rooms were pretty basic relative to the touristy, bungalow-style resorts that are cutting into the 'protected' forest. It was clean and mildew-free and looked like they might have been built only a couple weeks before we'd arrived. Judging by the speed with which buildings are being slapped together in Ao Nang, we might not be far from the truth. There was a swimming pool but wasn't being taken care of at all. During the rainy part o...Read More

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on June 22, 2005

Nongeed House
126 Moo 2
Ao Nang, Thailand
637237

West Rai Lay Photo, Ao Nang, Thailand
It's a short long-tail boat ride from Ao Nang and a beautiful beach to relax and enjoy the sun. It's almost exclusively Westerners and Anglos, so there can be a good amount of topless sunbathing.

There are paths leading through the bungalows and onto the more-secluded, southern tip of the peninsula and West Rai Lay, a marshy coastline of mangrove trees. The peninsula also offers a small but beautiful cave to explore, stunning views, and innumerable rock climbing opportunities.

There were a number of Thais walking the beach and offering pineapple and bananas, but I don't know how legal it was. I suggest that you bring your own snacks.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on June 21, 2005