Ubud Journals

A June 2005 trip to Ubud by tammyhayano

Rice Paddies Photo, Ubud, Indonesia More Photos
Quote: The map of Bali in my Lonely Planet is to scale. Destinations may seem far, but it's only 2 hours from places of interest to places of interest.

Rice Paddies Photo, Ubud, Indonesia
Kuta: The men here are notorious for trying to pick up women tourists. A local guy says to me, "I have stress. I have no money and no girlfriend." I reply, "Oh, that's too bad. Well, better get back to reading my book. Good luck." Ubud: Favorite pastimes have included eating, napping, massages, and reading. It's a great place for doing nothing or doing a lot. I keep telling myself to go to the art museum, sign up for a cycling tour, do the volcano trek, or check out the shops. We did, however, see a traditional dance/musical performance. It was very lively, fun to impersonate, colorful, and really interesting! Lovina: Rosemary and I were here for less than 24 hours. A dead rat on the b...Read More
From a backpacker's point of view, this was like a five-star hotel-- they provided bath towels, toilet paper, hot water, breakfast, and daily cleaning of the rooms. The guys who run this place are friendly and thoughtful, without being overbearing. A porch light is turned on in the front of your room if you're returning after dusk, an offering is made on your porch every morning, hot tea is always ready for you... little things like that. For $5/night for a single and $7 for a double, you can't beat it.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on July 14, 2005

Nick's Pension
Monkey Forest Road, Jalan Bisma Ubud
(0361) 975636

Bali Spirit Cafe

I ate here everyday. The best salads, soups, sandwiches, juices, coffees, curries--there was always a dilemma as to what to choose from the menu. Casual, cool decor, and one of the few places that stay open past 8pm! The yoga studio is upstairs.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on July 14, 2005

Bali Spirit Cafe
JI Hanoman

Bali Eco-Educational Cycling Tour Photo, Ubud, Indonesia
There's actually only one company that is reputable, and it's this one. But I forgot the whole name. It's also a bit expensive, but well worth it.

Most interesting part: Seeing the plantations of bananas, cocoa, coffee, papaya, cinnamon, vanilla, and durian.

Most educational part: there are only four names in Indonesia (for both boys and girls). It's no wonder every local we met was called "Wayan."

Most fun: cycling through rice paddies and villages where the local kids burst onto the road to wave at us, say hello, or wait for a high-five.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 18, 2005

Bali Eco-Educational Cycling Tour

Sacred Monkey Forest

Attraction | "Monkey Sanctuary"

Sacred Monkey Forest Photo, Ubud, Indonesia
I actually developed a phobia of monkeys after being attacked by one in China last summer, but I decided to try to get over my fear. It didn't work. I hate monkeys.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on July 18, 2005