Charleston Journals

Southern Comfort in Charleston

A May 2005 trip to Charleston by Crazy Cat Lady

Quote: My husband and I were charmed by Charleston. From the restored homes on the battery and grand plantations to the wonderful wining and dining, we had a great time everywhere we went. Highlights include the Chop House and The Blind Tiger. I highly recommend a carriage ride to see the city.

Southern Comfort in Charleston

If you're into bars, don't miss The Blind Tiger. The Palmetto carriage ride was a great way to see the city and get a good history lesson. As far as restaurants, The Chop House was fabulous but a little pricey. Sticky Fingers gives you a good bang for the buck.

Parking can be a bit of a problem. We were in our car and found on-street parking to be not too much of a problem. As far as sightseeing, I recommend the carriage tour. You can learn a lot about the history and it’s stress-free.

Best Western Sweetgrass Inn

Hotel | "Best Western Sweatgrass Inn"

We got the place through Priceline and were pretty disappointed. The mattresses were horrible. I don't think they've been replaced since the '70s. I'm not a "germ person," but I felt like the room was filthy and uncomfortable in general. The shower was pitiful. We would never stay there again.

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on June 8, 2005

Best Western Sweetgrass Inn
1540 SAVANNAH HWY
Charleston, South Carolina 29407
843-571-6100

Sticky Fingers Rib House-Downtown

Restaurant | "Sticky Fingers"

Great ribs! We got a "sample platter" with three different rib recipes, and they were all wonderful. Plus, they have great coleslaw. Prices were reasonable.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on June 7, 2005

Sticky Fingers Rib House-Downtown
235 Meeting Street
Charleston, South Carolina

Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.

Restaurant | "Bubba Gump's"

I was a bit disappointed. Being a real Forrest Gump fan, I loved the shop and memorabilia, but the food was just average "Applebee's"-type fare and was a little overpriced. I would have to say that it's all around just average.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on June 7, 2005

Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.
99 South Market St

Jestine's Kitchen

I was really anticipating a great downhome-type meal, and it was good. However, I was disappointed that cornbread was extra. You get these "cheesy" dinner rolls with your meal. The collard greens were excellent, though. The entrees were average. Our server really was not attentive. And, as you know, that can make or break a place. So average-quality food and a server with an attitude made for a less-than-satisfying experience.

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on June 7, 2005

Jestine's Kitchen
251 Meeting Street

Chop House Shem Creek Bar & Grill

Restaurant | "The Chop House"

This was the best place we ate in the Charleston area. We sat on a deck overlooking Shem Creek and selected from a menu that included everything from duck to seafood to steak. The service and food were wonderful. Atmosphere gets an A+ too.

Chop House Shem Creek Bar & Grill
508 Mill Street
Charleston, South Carolina 29464
843/884-8102

Blind Tiger Pub

Attraction | "The Blind Tiger"

This is the coolest bar I've ever been to. The atmosphere is the best; the front has two bars, and if you proceed through the hallway, there is an open courtyard with a bar as well. The bartenders are fabulous--very friendly and helpful with travel tips. Though very busy, the bartenders were attentive. The majority of patrons are locals whom we found to be very friendly to us tourists. We met a lot of "characters" there, and you can bet that when we go back, we'll make a point to stop in again.

Blind Tiger Pub
38 Broad St
+1 843 577 0088

Folly Beach

It was nice and not crowded, so there was plenty of room to sprawl out. Parking is off-street, and it wasn't too hard to find a space close by. The sand is packed pretty hard, but it didn't stop me from taking a nap. Anywhere I can hear the sound of waves and seagulls is thrilling to me, so I'm not hard to please in the beach category. It was very relaxing, but if you want to parasail or water ski, this might not be the beach for you. If, like me, you want to take in the sounds and relax, I think you'll love it.

Folly Beach
State Hwy 174
Charleston, South Carolina

Palmetto Carriage Works

Attraction | "Palmetto Carriage Tour"

You start off by getting to park for free all day. That's nice in itself. The carriage holds about 15 people, and you have your tour guide, of course. Jim was our guide and mule-handler. We learned so much more about the city and its history than we would have on our own. There is also a small shop at the barn that sells snacks and souvenirs. We got valuable tips on places to eat, plus the tour gives you ideas of places you may want to go back and explore further. They also seem to really care for the well being of the animals, which means a lot to me.

Palmetto Carriage Works