Paris Journals

Four Days In Paris

A May 2005 trip to Paris by trvlr

Quote: I'll give a brief overview of the highlights from Notre Dame to the Moulin Rouge.

Four Days In Paris

Best things to do? Notre Dame, Sainte-Chapelle, Moulin Rouge, D'Orsay, Louvre, Sacre Coeur, and cruising the Seine. Set time aside every afternoon to find a great little cafe and watch the world go by. Walking down the Seine and look at all of the booksellers and stuff. Take a few hours to walk around the Montmartre area and see all the artists after visiting the Sacre Coeur.

Buy a museum pass! Live and learn (i.e., me!).

The Metro (subway system) is the way to go.
Incredible location. It's not only a block off the Saint Germaine, but maybe 3 minutes' walk from the Seine. It's a GREAT two-star hotel. We had a very basic room with two full beds and a fold-out chair/bed. The ensuite bathroom was VERY nice, with a shower/large tub. The room had two windows that opened out onto the street! If you are going to stay here, a GREAT experience is getting off at the Odion Metro stop and walking down the incredibly old street of "Cour Du Commerce Saint-Andre". It comes out right in front of the hotel! A GREAT introduction into Paris. Though I think only a few of the rooms have "ensuites", it is DEFINTELY worth the price we paid (115 euros a night). I highly, highly recomme...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on June 5, 2005

Hotel Saint Andre Des Arts
66, rue Saint Andre des Arts
Paris, France 75006
33(0)1 43 26 96 16

Musee d'Orsay

A must-see. I have to admit that not being an art student, the lower floors seemed to wear me down quite a bit. We spent 2 hours knocking around those (though they WERE incredible works!) and were a little burned out by the time we got to the 5th floor, which had all the famous Impressionist paintings. I wish we would've started up there or gone there earlier. I just didn't prepare like I should have (i.e., reading these forums). Those Neo-Impressionist rooms are quite crowded, though.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on June 5, 2005

Musee d'Orsay
62, Rue De Lille
Paris, France 75343
+33 (1) 4049-4994

We took the Batobus (river taxi) from the Notre Dame location down to the Eiffel Tower. This is a great way to see the Seine from the river, though it is a river taxi (can be crowded). There are stops at all the major sites along the Seine: the Louvre, Notre Dame, Eiffel, Musee D'Orsay, etc. We saw some dinner cruise-type boats, and next time we may try that. We spent a couple of hours picking out great cheese, fruit, bread, chocolates, and wine and had a little picnic out on the lawn in front of the Eiffel Tower. It was a great evening!

Website: www.batobus.com.

Moulin Rouge

We had an INCREDIBLE time. It's kind of campy but definitely worth doing. It's not cheap, but neither is any show like that in Vegas. It's just great to have a great dinner (NOT there) and then go to the 11pm show (that's the cheapest price). In Paris, 11pm is not that late in May. It's not dark until close to 10pm anyway. On the way back, we asked the taxi driver (who was SO incredibly sweet) to take us around the Champs-Elysees to the Arc de Triomphe. The lighting on the Arc is so solemn--that's the only way that I could describe it. It's just SO incredibly beautiful at night.

Moulin Rouge
82, Boulevard De Clichy
Paris 75018
+33 (1) 53 09 82 82

Words can't explain the feeling you get when walking around inside Notre Dame. It's just humbling and so spiritual. Early in the morning seems to be the least crowded (as soon as it opens, I think around 8am). It takes a while to get into the Sainte Chapelle. You should get the museum pass. This will cut about 30 minutes off your wait for tickets to get in. You also have to wait 20 to 30 minutes to go through a security check (scanners, like at the airport). I HIGHLY suggest buying the museum pass, which I didn't buy this time. It gets you into all the main museums and a few of the things like St. Chapelle.

About the Writer