Grindelwald Journals

Winter Blitz to Grindelwald

A January 2005 trip to Grindelwald by schandroch

Winter Wonderland Grindelwald Photo, Grindelwald, Switzerland More Photos
Quote: While on a business trip to Geneva, I decided to head to Grindelwald to check out the place I know best from some summer excursions. A fantastic sledge ride and great gastronomical experience made my 18-hour stay a short but intense experience.

Winter Blitz to Grindelwald

Winter Wondeland Photo, Grindelwald, Switzerland
I decided to take the cable car up to the First (pronounced "Feerst") to enjoy the view and some good dried meat and cheese. I accidentally met the manager of the local tourist office, who spoke English, as many of the locals do. He convinced me to get on a sledge and do the run with him. What a run! After half time, we stopped at a mountain restaurant called Bort and had some more splendid local food, a kind of hash browns called rösti - they came in all sorts, with or without the melted cheese on top. After having missed a curve and raced down the black diamond piste ,amusing the few locals skiing on that memorable day, this hot treat did some good. After we arrived in the village and ga...Read More

Sunstar Hotel Grindelwald

Hotel | "Sunstar"

Sunstar Hotel Grindelwald Photo, Grindelwald, Switzerland
I had a wonderful room with wooden panels, which is what I didn't expected in this rather '70s-looking, big hotel. The view of the Eiger Northface was stunning and the staff friendly. Their brand-new spa is fantastic!

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on June 3, 2005

Sunstar Hotel Grindelwald
MAIN STREET
Grindelwald, Switzerland
41 33 854 77 77

Steinbock

I just wanted to stop for a quick grappa after having had dinner already at another great place. They serve more than 200 of the most splendid Italian grappas. After a chat with the owner, Salvatore, he looked at me, saying I should try at least a slice of pizza. After another 10 minutes, I had ordered an absolutely fantastic "Italian taste disc" you would expect only in Naples.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on June 3, 2005

Steinbock
Main Street
Grindewald, Switzerland

Winter Wonderland Grindelwald Photo, Grindelwald, Switzerland
This is absolutely fun and stunning when the snow conditions are generous. For part of it, the run is also a walking and hiking path (yes, they exist in Switzerland!), and you have to be careful not to run over those who are enjoying a slower pace.