Bandung Journals

Bandung, West Java

A December 2005 trip to Bandung by annie-m

Tea Plantation Photo, Bandung, Indonesia More Photos
Quote: A week visiting friends in Bandung, West Java, and what seemed like a week of traveling to get there

Bandung, West Java

Bandung is a medium to large city (4 million) in the mountains of West Java. It has all the modern conveniences for an international traveller: ATMs, public transportation, and bottled water. The train ride up from Jakarta through rice paddies and tea plantations is beautiful.The climate is milder than Jakarta, which is usually very hot. During my stay in the rainy season, the temperatures were low 80s during the day and into the 60s at night. Since it is a Muslim country, I dressed modestly, mostly long-sleeve T-shirts and capris or khakis was comfortable. The only time I was hot was when we were hiking on the volcano.I stayed with friends and spent my best times visiting with them. We...Read More

Ayam Goreng Suharti (Fried Chicken Suharti)

Restaurant | "Ayam Goreng Suharti"

Translated, the name would be Fried Chicken Suharti. Suharti is the wife of former dictator Suharto. She is apparently beloved in the country and famous for her Ayam Goreng.

We had an order of fried chicken, gado-gado (vegetables in sauce), and chicken soup. I also had an Es Apokat (avocado juice).

The fried chicken was not great, and the food, on a whole, was just average. We had much better meals at home with my friend’s cook preparing local meals.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on May 25, 2005

Ayam Goreng Suharti (Fried Chicken Suharti)
Bandung
Bandung, Indonesia

Toko 49

Toko 49 is a shop of handcrafts and souvenirs, particularly batik and carved wood. Most of this type of thing is available from other markets at negotiable prices, but here, the prices were posted and generally lower than other places. The quality seemed very good, more artisan than the stuff in the outlet stores.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on May 26, 2005

Toko 49
Jl. Cihampelas 49
Bandung, Indonesia

Tangkuban Perahu

Story/Tip

Tea Plantation Photo, Bandung, Indonesia
Tangkuban Perahu is an active volcano about 20 miles out of Bandung. We hired a taxi for the day, drove up to the crater, and looked around. It was stark and sulfur-smelling.

Then we hiked a kilometer or so down through the forest to the hot springs. These were wild.

The main spring was a pool about 25 feet across and at a full boil. All around the crater, steam vents were opening and closing for little spurts of steam or boiling water. Another pool was only boiling in half of it, so we were able to put our feet in on the other half for a refreshing soak. A stand at the edge of the crater area sold eggs and baskets for boiling, and we made and snacked on hard-boiled eggs.

Visiting Hours at Kampung Seni

Story/Tip

My hosts in Bandung wanted to give me some tourist experiences, so we looked through an old list of cultural activities and found Kampung Seni, an artist neighborhood (kampong is something between a block and a neighborhood). Hoping it was an area with shops or a market of local handcrafts, we took a taxi down to the street listed and asked around for this kampung, which most people did not know. Finally, we were directed to a house and invited to come in and sit. The front room was spacious and full of art -- it could have been a gallery. My friend is a language student, but I don't know more than a dozen words of Bahasa Indonesia, so my understanding of the conversation was...Read More

About the Writer