Cleveland Journals

Rock and Roll in Cleveland!!

A March 2005 trip to Cleveland by mjsoules

Quote: Cleveland is just coming into its own as a travel destination, and, as a result, it isn't crowded or touristy but has lots of fun activities for the whole family!

Rock and Roll in Cleveland!!

Cleveland is a great city - there are lots of great activities, and it's really inexpensive!! Highlights for me are the University Circle area. Last time I was home, I went with my family to the Cleveland Museum of Art, and I couldn't get over what a great deal it was! The museum itself is free, but the temporary exhibit costs exra. We saw Renoir and other Impressionists for with an audio tour. Afterwards, we toured the Weatherhead School of Management building, designed by renowned architect Frank O. Gehry (think: huge metal building in older part of downtown university circle). The Natural History Museum in this area is also great. The Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame draws tourists, but don't...Read More

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

Restaurant | "Rock Bottom Brewery "

Honestly, I had the best halibut of my life here! I know--in Cleveland, who'd have thunk it!? The service was great, my food was amazing, the atmosphere was fun (it's a nice brewery/bar/restaurant in the old Spaghetti Warehouse building in the Flats) - overall, a winner for me!

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on May 18, 2005

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
2000 Sycamore Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113

The Cleveland Metroparks Zoo gives other zoos a run for their money! I have been to many others, and I even considered interning at zoos as a biology major at UC Davis, and the CMZoo has a great reputation. The zoo itself is pretty large but definitely walkable. Audio tours are available for a small fee, and keepers are around to answer questions. Great exhibits - wolves, kangaroos, bears, sea lions, elephants, etc. The rainforest in and of itself makes the experience worthwhile! It is a very real experience that offers valuable insight into the ecology of tropical rain forests and the importance of their conservation. Great gift shops and adequate but pricey food areas.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on May 18, 2005

Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
3900 Wildlife Way
Cleveland, Ohio 44109

The Cleveland Art Museum is quiet, relatively empty, and peaceful. It is a great opportunity to see art, especially as it is free! Exhibits on tour charge extra (~$10/person with audio tour), and right now part of the Renaissance exhibit is closed for restoration. I saw the Phillips Collection while I was there, which included Renoir's Luncheon of the Boating Party and several works by Degas, Picasso, Van Gogh, Matisse, Delacroix, etc.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on May 18, 2005