Aruba Journals

Scuba in Aruba

An April 2000 trip to Aruba by Gholloway

Quote: A doctor once told me that Aruba was the best island getaway among all the vacation spots. He was a naval officer and owned his own sailboat and went there often. I went... I saw... I agree.

Scuba in Aruba

The beaches are coral and don't get hot. Everyone speaks English.

If you don't already dive, then pay to go on a catamaran and scuba.

Taxis are owned by locals and charge a basic price to go anywhere on the island. The island is only 11 miles long.

Wyndham

Hotel

We scheduled a regular room. When we arrived, our reservations were mixed up, so they put us in a suite at no extra charge. It would be worth it to reserve a suite. It was fabulous. I walked the entire south beach and realized that the Wyndham was probably the best hotel on the island. I just picked it randomly and got very lucky.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on May 15, 2005

The beach is clean and cool. You don't burn your feet on the coral. You get up and reserve a tiki hut and pull up a chaise, then spend the day with the warm tradewinds blowing over you while you tan, read, sleep, or just watch everyone and everything. Bars are close by to refresh you, and sports services are nearby to rent jet skis or take a boat ride, tour, scuba, etc.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on May 15, 2005

Aruba has Casinos

Aruba has small-scale casinos that are not equal to Las Vegas or riverboat gaming along the Mississippi. However, it wasn't bad if you really like gambling. A lot of the islands don't have casinos.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on May 15, 2005

Submarine

Story/Tip

We went in a submarine and viewed the underwater sights of Aruba. It is worth it if you can't scuba, snuba, or snorkle. You stay dry, but you can get seasick. Some did.

Snuba

Story/Tip

We took a day trip on a catamaran. They took us to two locations to snuba or snorkle. They also fed us lunch on board from a buffet. It was the best part of our trip. We had not scuba dived yet, and this made us want to learn. There is so much color, and it is awesome to be able to glide among fish.