Cusco Journals

Peru

An April 2005 trip to Cusco by Pguthrie

Quote: An 8-day visit to Lima, Cusco, and Macchu Picchu--a wonderful experience.

Machu Picchu Inca Archaeological Site

Attraction | "Machu Picchu"

Fabulous. Machu Picchu is the most spectacular ruin I have visited. A large percentage of what sets it apart is the setting, 8,000 feet up in the Andes. Rather expensive at $75 soles. We got in with the tour group the first day we were there but had to pay full fare the second day. Macchu Picchu Village (formerly Aguas Calientes) was a pleasnt suprise and one of the most interesting places we stayed in Peru. Don't miss a chance to see Macchu Picchu if you are going to be anywhere close to Peru!

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on May 9, 2005

Machu Picchu Inca Archaeological Site
Above The Urubamba Valley
Cusco Region, Peru

Ollantaytambo

Anywhere else in the world, this would be a major destination for adventure travelers... since it's 40 miles from Macchu Picchu, it's a secondary site. I thought it was great. The guide we had was very informative and easy to understand. This was part of our Sacred Valley tour we signed up for through Orquieda, our tour company. Highly recommended.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on May 9, 2005

Ollantaytambo
93 kilómetros al NE
Cusco, Peru
N/A

Cuzco City Tour

Attraction | "City Tour including nearby ruins"

Cusco and the city tour were less than I had expected. ONE MAJOR PROBLEM WITH CUSCO IS THE STREET VENDORS. They are very pushy - I had read that things had gotten better, but I hope things have actually gotten worse and that the situation will soon be rectified. Cusco is a great jumping-off point with lots of restaurants and bars. I was there in April, which is considered a medium traffic time. Again, I'm glad it wasn't the "high season", as it was very, very busy. Traffic is crazy. Prices are reasonable, BUT BE SURE TO CHECK ALL DOLLARS FOR ANY SMALL TEARS OR CREASES. The money changers will not take any bills with marks, tears, or creases. If I did it again, I would spend less time in Cusco a...Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on May 9, 2005