Outer Banks Journals

Outer Banks, NC, equals fun, fun, fun!

An August 2003 trip to Outer Banks by MCJ graduate

Cape Hatteras National Seashore Photo, Cape Hatteras, North Carolina More Photos
Quote: The Outer Banks in North Carolina is just fun, fun, fun. Whether you have an adventurous spirit, are looking for family fun, or just want to unwind and relax, this is the destination to choose.

Outer Banks, NC, equals fun, fun, fun!

Aero Tour over Outer Banks Photo, Outer Banks, North Carolina
Our Outer Banks vacation is so memorable. Within a week of our vacation, we parasailed, ocean-fished, visited several lighthouses, saw all the islands in the Outer Banks, had an ATV adventure on the beach, went on a dolphin tour, had an aero tour, and went to the Wright Brothers National Memorial. Hence, this vacation brings very fond memories.Quick Tips: Compared to other vacations I have taken, vacationing at the Outer Banks is pretty expensive. Between the house rental for that week (about ), all the activities my family did (parasailing, aero tour, Corolla Adventure Tour, dolphin tour, fishing trips, Wright Brothers National Memorial) and gas money for driving to see all the islands and t...Read More

Home Port

Hotel

Home Port Photo, Outer Banks, North Carolina
Overall, the experience of staying at Home Port was lovely. Although it was advertised as a beach cottage, it is near a grassy canal. But it was a charming, original Hatteras-style island cottage. It had all the modern conveniences of a primary home (two TVs, two VCRs two DVDs, a stereo, a gas grill, and a game room). It also had all the amenities except a dishwasher. The bed situation consisted of one king-size, one king-size and two singles, and one double and one queen futon. The cottage also had a large yard, quaint village location, and screened porch. The only drawbacks it had included that it was right next to a cemetery and that we saw two cockroaches in the house.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on May 2, 2005

Home Port
Hatteras

Cape Hatteras National Seashore

Attraction | "Fishing Trip with a Company out of Hatteras"

Cape Hatteras National Seashore Photo, Cape Hatteras, North Carolina
I definitely would recommend this company for your fishing trip. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the company we used, but I do remember the boat we were on. The boat was called Little Clam. It was a small boat (I think it could hold 36 people), and the captain only allowed about 18 people for fishing trips. In our case, there were only 12 people during that time and day, and we still went out. At first, we were fishing and catching nothing. And then the captain asked us if we would like to fish for Spanish mackerel. This consisted of all of us taking turns fishing off the back of the boat (three at a time) while we were trolling. It seemed like as soon as the lines hit the water we were...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on May 1, 2005

Cape Hatteras National Seashore
1401 National Park Drive
Cape Hatteras, North Carolina 27954

Kitty Hawk Aero Tours

Kitty Hawk Aero Tours Photo, Outer Banks, North Carolina
Although we had a fantastic time on this aero trip, we did experience an engine cut out while flying. The three of us and the pilot heard it, and we saw the propeller on the plane go slower and slower. At that point, I told my partner we were going down. Then the pilot was doing something and kept saying in his Southern drawl, "Come on baby, come on baby," finally saying, "That’s a girl," when the engine sounded fine and the propeller was going around normal speed again. When we returned from the flight, I confronted the pilot about the experience. He replied jokingly, "Oh, it was a simulation," and I said, "Well, that is one simulation I am very scared of." Although this aero trip was terrifying i...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on May 1, 2005

Kitty Hawk Aero Tours
Outer Banks

Howard's Pub and Raw Bar Photo, Ocracoke Island, North Carolina
Howard's Pub and Raw Bar is the hip place to be. Although we were there for lunch, they advertised that they had live performers on the weekends. And while we were there, both locals and tourists were present. The restaurant offers both seafood and short-order food. Because we wanted to get in and out of there quickly (due to island hopping), we ordered pizzas. As I recall, the pizzas were good, and the price was moderate. You can also purchase souvenirs there. In addition, the location is close to tour operators. Therefore, it is not only a great place to eat but a convenient choice.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on May 2, 2005

Howard's Pub and Raw Bar
1175 Irvin Garrish Highway
Ocracoke Island, North Carolina 27960

Corolla Adventure Tours Photo, Outer Banks, North Carolina
When we were vacationing at the Outer Banks, Corolla Adventure Tours could give an ATV tour. But I am not sure now, if it can. If they can't, it is probably because of some type of "new" ordinance that will not allow any tour company to use ATVs for it. When we went, a Corolla Adventure tour guide told us they were the only ones that could give the tour. This was because another company didn't follow orders such as keeping the ATVs in line, one right after another. Anyway, when we went for this tour, it was a blast. There were about 10-12 ATVs on it. We drove on sand dunes. And we stopped at sights, where the guide narrated. But the highlight of the tour had to be seeing the wild horses on the beach....Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on May 2, 2005

Corolla Adventure Tours
Highway 19
252/453-4484

Wright Brothers National Memorial Photo, Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina
This is a great historic site to take the family to. By coming here, they will learn that the first successful sustained powered flights in a heavier-than-air machine were made there by Wilbur and Orville Wright on December 17, 1903. They will also see a 60-foot granite monument (dedicated in 1932), which is located on top of the 90-foot-tall Kill Devil Hill that commemorates the Wrights accomplishment. Lastly, they can tour the Wright Brothers Museum. At the museum, family members can view the exhibits, participate in a ranger-conducted program, and tour the reconstructed camp buildings and first-flight trail area.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on May 2, 2005

Wright Brothers National Memorial
Mile Post 7.5 On U.s. Hwy 158
Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina 27948

SJB and sister getting geared up to parasail Photo, Outer Banks, North Carolina
My partner and her sister had the adventurous spirit while we were vacationing. They decided to try their hand at parasailing. Since I can't swim and I am scared of heights, I told them they could take this adventure by themselves. As a result, they got geared up and was taken up 400 feet. They claim they were a little scared, but the views were fabulous. They both enjoyed this so much that they vow to do this again and even go higher next time.
SJB Fishing at Public Beach Photo, Outer Banks, North Carolina
Ocean fishing at a public access beach in Hatteras was great fun. But because this was ocean fishing, we had to use ocean poles and more sinker weight due to the depth of the sea. We also used some kind of strange worm (red in color) for bait. It can actually bite you when you put it on the hook. After getting the poles ready, we just waded out in waist-high water to cast the lines. We actually caught more fish this way than going on a fishing trip with the company called Big Al and Big Boats in Manteo. Most of the fish we caught were called jacks, and we caught one nice-size flounder. But be careful of the jellyfish. One somehow got hooked on one of our lines.