Las Vegas Journals

And You Thought Vegas Was Just For Gamblers?

An April 2005 trip to Las Vegas by mimi2005

Quote: We had a fantastic adventure that started from the time we landed until the time we boarded to go home - without playing one table. Vegas never disappoints and always surprises. This is the town that never sleeps, and you will never run out of things to do.

And You Thought Vegas Was Just For Gamblers?

The most memorable thing we did was visit Hoover Dam and Lake Meade, and it was last on my list before we left. Definitely left an impression. Another surprise was Viva Las Vegas at the Strat. Who would have thought? Seeing Sinbad live was definitely the best show we saw. He is hilarious, and no profanity. Things to do: take a tour, see Vegas from the Stratosphere Tower, eat at Aladdin's Buffet, take a walk through Madame Tussauds Wax Museum (and don't be afraid to have fun!), and take at least one weekend night to go downtown, where it's a totally different world.Quick Tips: It's a pain to go every day, but it's well worth it to go to tix4tonight for a lot of show tickets and events, li...Read More

Golden Nugget

Hotel | "Golden Nugget Hotel And Casino"

We arrived on a Friday morning, check-in was a breeze - no line at all - and the room was in the South Tower, 21st floor, and very elegant. There were marble countertops in the bathroom and a small sitting area. Overall, it was a wonderful room with great service; you'd think the security guards would learn your face after a week of comings and goings, but they still required your room key everytime you went to the elevator. Oh, well.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on April 30, 2005

Golden Nugget
129 E. Fremont St.

Spice Market Buffet

Restaurant | "Aladdin Buffet"

This was by far the best buffet we had. They say it's the best, and I agree 100%. I was very leery about paying $26 for a buffet, BUT was so glad I did. The selection alone is worth the money. The bests I had were the tempura shrimp, large and fried lightly; salmon; stuffed sole with spinach and cheese; chicken and shrimp paella; tuna sushi; and the best chocolate cream pie I ever had in my LIFE! I didn't like the Midwestern rice, stuffed grape leaves, or lamb kabobs, which were too tough. This is the only place on the Strip to have sweetened raspberry iced tea, my favorite. Overall, whether you like Asian, sushi, Italian, seafood, Mediterranean, or American, you will love this buffet.

Spice Market Buffet
3667 Las Vegas Blvd S

Mirage Buffet

This buffet was a wonderful array of different styles of food. You will not run out of options before you're full here. Highlights of my meal were seafood shamai, spinach wrapped in rice dumpling, sweet and sour pork, fried wonton, veggie pizza with basil, potato salad with roasted turkey, and cilantro rice. The icing on the cake were the desserts, which are the best feature of this buffet. I had tiramasu, creme brulee, coffee gelato, and white chocolate mousse, which they give you in small enough portions for you to try them all. The quality is better than the finer restaraunts in Vegas, and they have the variety of noodles, fishmongers, Asian, Italian, pizza, sushi, or raw bar that we love.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on April 30, 2005

Mirage Buffet
3400 Las Vegas Blvd South
+1 702 791 7111

Main Street Buffet

Ever since I've visted this buffet, it is on my have-to-eat list for Vegas. At only $8 a head for lunch, you cannot beat the quality and variety. Pork Kalua, sticky white rice, and BBQ shredded pork were outstanding. The dessert station was exceptional, with lemon meringue, coconut custard, apple and blueberry pie, chocolate, strawberry, and angel food cake. Delicious. If you go downtown, don't miss this buffet. The service is also top-notch.

Main Street Buffet
Main Street Casino - 200 N. Main Street
Las Vegas, Nevada 89101

This was our first buffet, and it didn't make a good impression. I've heard this was a good buffet, but I was not impressed. I had chicken parm, sirloin steak, potato salad, macaroni salad, rice, clam chowder, and ziti in marinara with lemonade. I love most foods but couldn't find anything to love here. I may have hit an off-day because I also had breakfast here the last day, and it was great, but the lunch buffet left me wanting more.

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on April 30, 2005

Golden Nugget Buffet
129 East Fremont St
+1 702 385 7111

Tony Romas

Tony Romas are famous for their ribs, and now I know why. DELICIOUS. WARNING: Both my mother and I got sick from their ribs afterwards. That was the only thing we had the same, so we assumed it was that. I would venture to say it was worth it though.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on April 30, 2005

Tony Romas
620 East Sahara Avenue
Las Vegas, Nevada 89104

The Platters, The Coasters & The Drifters

Attraction | "The Platters, The Coasters & The Drifters"

Background: I'm 29 years old, so this music was way before my time, but I still loved it. It was energetic, the performers were very talented, and I could barely stay in my seat. It is a must-see show.

The Platters, The Coasters & The Drifters
Sahara Hotel & Casino
888/696-2121

Hoover Dam

This was remarkable. This was the least on my list of to-dos, and it ended up being the top thing I did. The feat of building such a thing is REMARKABLE, and you can't appreciate how remarkable it is until you get there and actually see it for yourself. I was blown away by the magnitude of this dam. Lake Meade was beautiful as was the view. I took two rolls of film of all the scenery. Took a tour with Vision Tours, and it was included with the Ethel M. Factory and lunch at Hacienda Inn and Casino. Put this on your MUST-DO list.

Hoover Dam
US Highway 93 at the Nevada-Arizona border

Stratosphere Theater

Attraction | "Viva Las Vegas at the Stratosphere"

It was the ultimate variety show. I enjoyed every act. They were very funny. It was a great afternoon show. I left happy, and it wasn't the pina colada, because it was virgin.

Stratosphere Theater
2000 Las Vegas Blvd South
702-380-7777

Lounge Acts

Both were at the Boardwalk Casino in the lounge. Spectrum performs from 8pm to 10:30 and has three sets, and Purple Reign is on from 11pm to about 2am. They both were good. I LOOOVE Prince, and I have to say, this guy was as close to Prince as you're going to get.

Lounge Acts
All Casinos
Las Vegas, Nevada

Sinbad was at the Hilton from April 21 to 23, and if you ever have a chance to see him, do so. He was hilarious, my stomach hurt by the time I left from laughing. It was a great start to a great vacation.
I am very conservative when it comes to budget, so when they said $35 for a motion ride, I was a little hesitant. But I must say, being a slight Star Trek fan, it was really fun. The "actors" really got into it, which made it even more fun. They were really lively for having done this 100 times a day. I went on Klingon encounter three times, but the Borg one I didn't like as much. I don't want to ruin anything, but there was one feature that was not appealing.

Fremont Experience

Story/Tip

I was excited to see the Fremont Experience because I had never seen it before, and all I have to say is, what is the big deal? It was like a gigantic commercial. It was okay, but I would not recommend coming all the way downtown just for that.