New Orleans Journals

New Orleans --Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!

An October 2004 trip to New Orleans by MCJ graduate

SJB and Gator Photo, New Orleans, Louisiana More Photos
Quote: Do you like scrumptious food, great music, exhilarating adventures, gorgeous art, historical sites, and going on various tours and having a fabulous time? If you do, then I suggest you pack your bags for the Big Easy.

New Orleans --Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!

Pontalba and the Jackson Monument Photo, New Orleans, Louisiana
New Orleans has been dubbed the Big Easy, Crescent City, and The City that Care Forgot. But no matter what it is nicknamed, you will have a fabulous time there. This city has a lot to offer to the traveller. It has scrumptious food, great music, exhilarating adventures, gorgeous art, historical sites, and various tours. Hence, pack your bags for this destination and enjoy the Cajun and Creole food, listen to Jazz music, go on an airboat adventure, attend art galleries, stroll to Jackson Square, and take a horse-drawn carriage, plantation, haunted history or cemetery tour. By doing these things, I guarantee you that you will not be disappointed choosing the Big Easy for your trip. Quick Tips:...Read More

Historic French Market Hotel

Hotel | "The Historic French Market Inn"

The Historic French Market Inn is in a great location in the French Quarter. It is close to Jackson Square and across the street from Hard Rock Cafe. We went there because of the location and because skyauction.com offered stays there. We got a great deal on the room (about $58 a night). Unfortunately, the price and its location are probably the best things I can say about it. And it has a beautiful courtyard. But our room was pretty dirty: curtain toppers had layers of dust in the creases; there were large, sticky stains on the carpet; some wallpaper was peeling off a wall; the inside of the entrance door was filthy; and the bathtub had embedded soap scum. In addition to this, our shower didn't h...Read More

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on April 30, 2005

Historic French Market Hotel
501 Rue Decatur

Louis XVI

Restaurant | "Louis XVI Restaurant Francais"

Although I have had several dining experiences in New Orleans, this is my favorite restaurant. This is because the food is marvelous, the staff is polite and courteous, and the restaurant is lovely. In addition, this restaurant provides for a romantic setting. It has magnificent courtyard settings with a fountain, an extensive wine list, and serves superb French cuisine. Lastly, this place pampers you as if you were royalty.

Louis XVI
St. Louis Hotel
+1 504 581 7000

Snug Harbor Jazz Bistro

Attraction | "Snug Harbor"

We saw Charmaine Neville and her band at Snug Harbor, and another night, we saw Maurice Brown, jazz trumpeter-composer. They were both great entertainers. Ms. Neville does some old Beatles favorites such as Yellow Submarine and Eleanor Rigby. She also does Ella Fitzgerald songs (in her songs, Charmaine even sounds like her). We met her after her set. She autographed the CD we bought of hers called UP, UP, UP. She is a very nice person.

Snug Harbor Jazz Bistro
626 Frenchmen St
New Orleans, Louisiana 70116
+1 504 949 0696

French Market

Attraction | "The French Market"

I adore shopping here, even though some of the items are cheap and not well-made. I guess I like to go back and forth on the prices with the vendors. I collect masks, so this is a great place for discounted ones. I also found some better deals here on the posters than anywhere else.

French Market
1008 North Peters Street

Natchez Steamboat

Attraction | "Steamboat Natchez"

Natchez Steamboat Photo, New Orleans, Louisiana
I think it is great family fun at a reasonable price. But what the boat offered for both entertainment and food left a lot to be desired. I guess the band was supposed to be a jazz one, but they were missing a member, so the music sounded bare. And the food that was present appeared to be deep-fat fried (we didn't eat it). In spite of these things, we had a wonderful time. We relaxed and had a few mixed drinks as we enjoyed the scenery from the boat.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on April 29, 2005

Natchez Steamboat
2 Canal St
504) 586-8777

Hard Rock Cafe

Hard Rock Cafe Photo, New Orleans, Louisiana
We just ordered appetizers, which were very good. And we had a couple of beers. The café was the usual Hard Rock atmosphere--loud but fun. This is a good place to get something to eat when it is late. Also, this bar/restaurant was across the street from The Historic French Market Inn, where we were staying.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on April 29, 2005

Hard Rock Cafe
418 North Peters St
+1 504 529 5617

Oak Alley Plantation Photo, New Orleans, Louisiana
The tour is quite good. A lady dressed in a 1800s costume stands in front of the entrance of the plantation and welcomes you. She then introduces you to a tour guide and you get whisk away by her. The tour guide then proceeds to take you in each room and describes the items in each and their significance. She then walks you outside to the grounds and continues to narrate. She talks about the plantation owner's demise and the family cemetery on the grounds. She ends the tour by offering you to purchase a Southern drink called a mint julep.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on May 1, 2005

Oak Alley Plantation
3645 Highway 18 (Great River Rd,)
New Orleans, Louisiana 70090
225-265-2151

Alligator Tour

Story/Tip

SJB and Gator Photo, New Orleans, Louisiana
I have been on these airboat/alligator tours twice with the same company, Airboat Adventures. I have never been disappointed. This company uses small all-terrain airboats carrying six people, not like the party boats of 16 or 30. These boats go where the bigger boats can't. The guides point out many natural wonders. You will also see owls, hawks, alligators, and egrets. I highly recommend selecting this company over its competitors. This company's number is 888/467-9267.
Horse Drawn Carriage Photo, New Orleans, Louisiana
In 1996, my partner (at that time) and I wanted a private horse-drawn carriage ride. Back then, we were charged $75 for a ride through the French Quarter. Along the streets of the French Quarter, our guide was bellowing a narration of New Orleans history. It took about an hour and 15 minutes to complete. I unfortunately can't remember this company's name, but the ride/tour was worth every penny.