Cameroon Journals

Cameroon: The Other Side of the World

A June 2004 trip to Cameroon by forever young

Quote: A tale of the other side of the world. Jungles, beaches, mountains, and local cuisine!

Cameroon: The Other Side of the World

Tiny huts, leaky rooms, midnight thunderstorms, and bug-infested chocolate bars

The Beginning

Story/Tip

This travel journal is a journal looking to the past. But the best place to start the recounting of this jouney is in the beginning. It began in December of 2003. I applied to be a part of the first all-youth gateway team to Cameroon from the North American Baptist convention. After a rigourous interview, I was accepted, along with 17 others. It was a ragtag team of all different backgrounds, assembled to be in a worship band and to do construction. Some were excited to be heading on this monumental adventure; others, however, were not as intrigued by the opportunity. I fell in the middle. I was excited to travel once more. I had spent the previous summer traveling the Spainish countr...Read More

Douala and Beyond

Story/Tip

I left you in the middle seat, about to land in Douala. Now, Douala is not the most picturesque airport. I would show you, but taking pictures in and around the airport isn't advised.

I deplaned and went to show my visa and my passport. As I stepped off the plane, the stifling heat, combined with the extremely high humidity, made me pause. Were people actually able to breathe, walk, and talk at the same time?

I walked down the hallway leading to customs and baggage claim. The walls were cement, and the windows, well, they weren't really windows. They were huge window-shaped holes with no glass and no screen.

About the Writer