Minneapolis Journals

Minneapolis from the View of a Local

A travel journal to Minneapolis by backstage_diva

Quote: I have lived here for 21 years now. I love cooking and independent movies, so I know some nice little areas you may not.

Buca di Beppo

This place is a little more pricey because it is all family-style, though recently they released meals for two that have smaller portions. They offer very typical Italian food, but what really makes this place fun is the atmosphere. It's as kitschy as it gets! There are little alcoves with tables, so it may look large on the outside, but it is divided up, so there is some quiet and privacy. I am actually having my graduation party here. Food-wise, I like the chicken parm and calamari.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on April 25, 2005

Buca di Beppo
1204 Harmon Pl.

Sebastian Joe's Ice Cream Cafe

Restaurant | "Sebastian Joe's Ice Cream"

The best ice cream place ever!! They have some very unique flavours: coffee, peanut butter, strawberry cheesecake, and other specialty ones that change day to day. It is all homemade, and it can be bought in cartons for home use. There is also tea, Jones soda, and espresso. Sometimes there is live music inside. Seating is indoors and outdoors.

Sebastian Joe's Ice Cream Cafe
1007 W. Franklin Avenue
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55405

Brit's Pub & Eating Establishment

Restaurant | "Brit's Pub"

Whenever I come here, I eat outside. The street it is on is pedestrian-only, so expect some good people-watching. There is lawn bowling on the roof. I have lived in London before, and the food here is great! But don't expect any brown sauce; they have no clue what it is. They have a great selection of beer. The prices are about $8-10 for a meal. Service is very friendly.

Brit's Pub & Eating Establishment
1110 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55403

These two theatres are across the street from each other and places to check out if you like independent and older movies. The Uptown is a great old theatre with a balcony and has limited-release movies, with a midnight movie on Friday. It ranges from Series 7 to Heathers to A Tale of Two Johns to Roman Holiday. Landmark has a parking lot behind the building and multiple screens. They show more independent movies, with a few that become mainstream, such as Bend it Like Beckham.

Uptown and Landmark Cinemas
Uptown, Hennepin
Minneapolis, Minnesota

Winter Carnival

My dad is a “shriner,” so I have been going to this parade for as long as I can remember. Only in Minnesota would we be stupid enough to celebrate weather when it is -30°F. The ice castle is the highlight. Made from local lakes, this is a huge castle made of ice and lights that King Boreas fights the Vulcans over, aka winter fighting summer. As a kid, I remember the display as the most fun thing ever! There is/used to be a huge ice slide down the capital hill. The parade is also decent. It gets really cold, so I have settled to watching it from a hotel window 20 stories above the street and on TV. There is also ice/snow carvings in Rice Park to look at. It is great at night with the lights on and a gr...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on April 25, 2005

Winter Carnival
429 Landmark Center
St. Paul, Minnesota 55102

Loring Park

Attraction | "Gay Pride"

I had a friend who lived in this area. Loring Park is basically a large pond with a path around it, surrounded by good restaurants. It's a weekend-long festival with music, booths, shows, and a parade. The parade snakes its way through downtown and basically takes over the city. I am straight, yet I have a wonderful time. The units in the parade range from the outrageous to the political. Someday this will be televised...

Loring Park