Orkney Islands Journals

Exploring the Orkneys

An October 2004 trip to Orkney Islands by brmcga

An Orkney Sunset Photo, Orkney Islands, Scotland More Photos
Quote: After spending a week in the Aviemore area, we decided to head north to the Orkneys to explore the neolithic sites there and, of course, to play a little golf! We returned to Glasgow following the West Coast of Scotland, which was spectacular!

Exploring the Orkneys

An Orkney Sunset Photo, Orkney Islands, Scotland
While in the Orkneys, visit Skara Brae, the Ring of Brogar, Maes Howe, and many more neolithic sites. These are well worth the time, and take your imagination with you. I would also suggest packing a picnic lunch and visiting Yesnaby, as the coastline is so spectacular. There are also golf courses in Stromness and Kirkwall that may be a bit rough by many people's standards but were fun to play nonetheless. The Italian Chapel and St. Magnus Cathedral are also worth a look. When you are done exploring the islands, head south along the West coast and take some detours from the main route--I have experienced nothing like it.

The Noust

Hotel

The Noust overlooks Scapa Flow and is set in the countryside. The home was newer, with lots of parking. We were well-taken-care-of, and the price was right at 17 pounds each per night.

Skara Brae

Skara Brae Village Photo, Orkney Islands, Scotland
I must admit that I was skeptical when Barb said we must go to Skara Brae. With the help of a park guide, I quickly changed my mind as I studied the layout of the ancient homes and the settlement itself. Indoor plumbling long before the Romans--dressers, beds, well, I for one never knew. This is the most "developed" of the many sites we visited.

Ring of Brodgar

Attraction | "Ring of Brodgar and Maeshowe"

Ring of Brodgar Photo, Orkney Islands, Scotland
The Ring of Brodgar was a nice walk, but the Stones of Stenness nearby were much more impressive. On this tour, we also included Maes Howe, then golf. What a busy day. In order to appreciate Maes Howe, you must go on the guided tour. It may not seem like much until you learn the history from the tour guides.

Ring of Brodgar
Mainland Orkney
Orkney Islands, Scotland

Golfing the Orkney Golf & Country Club

Attraction | "Golfing the Orkney Golf & Country Club"

Kirkwall Photo, Orkney Islands, Scotland
The course plays basically back and forth over a slight hill. There are no trees on the islands, so it was pretty open. As with all Scottish courses, you better have a good eye for yardage, as there are no markers. Nonetheless, it was a nice play and nice to score in the 80's after my Royal Dornoch disaster. Have a look at my pics to get an idea of the course and the views of the area from it.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on April 18, 2005

The town of Stromness Photo, Orkney Islands, Scotland
The course was as much as a history lesson as a golf course. Were the military installations dating from the Second World War built on the golf course, or was the golf course built around them? Throw in some elevation changes, stone walls dividing the fairways, and great scenery, and you have a fine round of golf waiting.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on April 18, 2005

YES - Yesnaby!

The Sign Photo, Orkney Islands, Scotland
All I can can say is wow! I wish we had more time here to walk the coastline in search of sea stacks, coves, and who knows what else. It looks to me like the rock for the Neolithic villages and standing stones was quarried here. But how did they get it there? In one of the tourist shops, we saw some storm pictures - WICKED. North Atlantic storms wreak havoc here. Take a lunch and go for a walk.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on April 18, 2005