Chicago Journals

Weekend in Chicago

A June 2004 trip to Chicago by MJB1103

Navy Pier Photo, Chicago, Illinois More Photos
Quote: Could they have any more stores?? And must they all have eight floors?? If you are shopping-crazed lunatics like us, please go to the Magnificant Mile in Chicago. This is the place to find all the things your local stores keep saying "That's a catalog-only item" about.

Weekend in Chicago

Navy Pier Photo, Chicago, Illinois
Chicago has so much to offer that it isn't fair to say "go to shop only". Yes, it is some of the most amazing shopping you will do - Eddie Bauer, Pottery Barn, Saks, Bloomingdales, Kenneth Cole... just to name a few. But having said that, there is a world to explore that has some of the most wonderful restaurants, parks, theaters, and museums. Go to the Art Institute of Chicago and see Georges Seurat's "A Sunday on La Grande Jatte". It is huge and stunning. My husband and I saw a special show they had on the making of this famous work that made me love it even more than I had before. The Taste of Chicago food festival was awesome. If you have never been to one, try it. It's just plain fun. It can get ...Read More
Okay, I don't have much to say about this hotel, except just don't go. While I normally am not one to completely veto anywhere, this would be the one place. It is rundown and in much need of an overhaul. We had peeling paint, broken-down elevators, and lack of proper ventilation, and it was musty. I have stayed in a lot of places, and their website made it look wonderful. Sometimes it's better to stay off the Web and go to the Hampton Inn.

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on April 16, 2005

Congress Plaza Hotel
520 SOUTH MICHIGAN AVE
Chicago, Illinois 60605
312-427-3800

I ate at Volare's about 7 years ago and remembered it because it was great. They did not let me down. Again, they served a most wonderful veal and more food than one person could eat. My husband and I shared a dinner, as well as a salad. Maybe we were having a low night after travelling, but either way, with a glass of wine and bread, it was plenty that night.

It is a smaller place that has outside dining when the weather is good. There is always a full house, so I recommend a reservation. You can just stop on in, but be prepared, as you may have to wait.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on April 16, 2005

Volare Ristorante Italiano
201 E. Grand Ave
Chicago, Illinois 60611
312-410-9900

Okay, one of my friends said, "You have to go to Garrets." While I normally would agree with all she recommends, here's my take on it. If you love popcorn, go. When I say "love", mean it in the utmost. While I am a fan, I would not recommend standing in the hour-and-a-half line for Garrets.

The regular is just that, while their caramel crunch stuff is great. I would definitely buy it again, but not at the cost of over an hour's wait. Yes, you can order it online these days, but I will say there is something about the taste of it freshly made. You decide.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on April 16, 2005

Garrett Popcorn Shop
670 N. Michigan Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60611
312.944.2630

Monday-Friday 8am-8pm
Saturday 10am-10pm
Sunday 12pm-6pm

This is all you need to know so you don't miss it on your trip. Oprah had recommended it so I had ordered some online. It was great so when I was in Chi-town I stopped in, and then I was hooked, and hooked good! Their chocolate is smooth and wonderful, but I must, must, must recommend that you get a peanut butter shake!! 'Nuff said.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on April 16, 2005

Moonstruck Chocolate
320 N. Michigan Avenue
Chicago, Illinois

Art Institute of Chicago

Attraction | "The Art Institute of Chicago"

Art Institute of Chicago Photo, Chicago, Illinois
If you like art, this is the place for you. I personally went for the first time many, many years ago because of that movie "Ferris Bueller." I wanted to see in person "A Sunday on La Grande Jatte" by Georges Seurat. It then became one of my favorite pieces.

The only thing better than shopping all that weekend and Moonstruck's peanut butter shakes was the show that happen to be going on at the Art Institute that showed the making of Georges masterpiece. Beyond what I ever thought and could imagine, it made me fall in love with it all over again. Of course, it pleased me to death that my husband enjoyed the show and now has a newfound respect for the copy in our living room.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on April 16, 2005

Art Institute of Chicago
111 South Michigan Ave.
Chicago, Illinois 60603

Taste of Chicago

Taste of Chicago Photo, Chicago, Illinois
Okay, so we weren't really planning on going this time around, but had some encouragement from another Michigan native who gave us a head start with food tickets they weren't going to use. As it turned out, what a blast we had! This is a feeding frenzy, and for all the "foodies" out there, wow, hold onto your hats!

This is not a gourmet haven, but it certainly has a variety that will not leave anyone bored or looking for very long for something they have never tried: frozen bananas, Chicago stuffed pizza and hot dogs, huge turkey drumsticks, chocolate-covered strawberries, ice cream, and the like. Bon appetite!

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on April 16, 2005

Taste of Chicago
500 South Columbus Drive (Grant Park)
Chicago, Illinois 60605