Las Vegas Journals

Girls' Trip to Vegas!

A March 2005 trip to Las Vegas by LeslieT

Red Rock Canyon Photo, Las Vegas, Nevada More Photos
Quote: As the big 5-0 birthday approached for two of us ladies, we figured we would take on the town!

Girls' Trip to Vegas!

Inside the Bellagio Conservatory Photo, Las Vegas, Nevada
There are so many things to do and see and eat in Las Vegas that I don't know where to start! Also, I think age plays a part in what you want to do, see, and eat. That said, my friend and I were about to hit the BIG 5-0 mark on our birthdays that first week in April, and we thought we should go to Vegas and be a little crazy. You know, get in touch with our inner child. HA! The fountains at the Bellagio induced goose bumps, the roller coaster rides at New York New York and the Sahara were thrilling and fun, and bumping into Al Pacino outside Olives restaurant at the Bellagio was GREAT! The Excalibur slots were loose, and their show, THUNDER FROM DOWN UNDER, was full of hunky, gorgeous nearly nak...Read More

Excalibur Hotel & Casino

Hotel | "Excaliber Hotel and Casino"

We had a nice room that was pretty large and very quiet and SMOKE-FREE! Boy, the casinos in general were just awful if you don't smoke. Anyway, we booked this through Southwest Airlines Vacations, and it was very nice. It is in a good location on the Strip and also had a couple of shows that we wanted to see.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on April 15, 2005

Excalibur Hotel & Casino
3850 Las Vegas Boulevard South
Las Vegas, Nevada 89109

We ate here for lunch and sat in the more "café" part of the restaurant, by the front window, so we could people-watch. We both had HUGE salads with seared fish on the top. Very yummy!

Emeril's New Orleans Fish House
MGM Grand Hotel Casino

Le Village Buffet

This was one of the best buffets I have ever eaten in. We arrived around 10-ish, but had to wait 45 minutes in a l-o-n-g line. It was worth it! The inside is done up like a little French village, with each cooking station designated by a region of France. My friend and I particularly liked the homemade crepes they made right in front of you, where you add any fruit that you want. I also liked the little quiches and veal sausage sautéed with caramelized onions. Are you drooling yet?

Le Village Buffet
Paris Las Vegas Hotel

Trattoria del Lupo

Wolfgang Puck's newest Vegas restaurant was just as yummy as we had expected from the master. You can even sit "outside" (the restaurant is inside) and people-watch. My friend had eggplant parmesan, which I tried a bite of, and it was truly wonderful for such a traditional dish. I had a homemade sausage and polenta dish with a marinara-type topping, and it was TO DIE FOR! If you like Italian food, run to this place.

Trattoria del Lupo
Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino
Las Vegas, Nevada 89119

Taqueria Canonita

This place has the best margaritas hands down! Their menu even says they have won awards, etc. I think the key is that they use fresh-squeezed lime juice. Anyway, the food was truly wonderful. I always like to try chile rellenos at any new Mexican place I go to, and this had one of the best chile rellenos I have ever had. The chile was fresh, lightly breaded and sautéed, and stuffed with some kind of yummy cheese that had been mixed with just a little bit of nuts and dried fruit. WOW! Taste-bud delight! Also, I recommend that you ask for a table on the Grand Canal, as you can hear/see the gondoliers sing as they pass.

Taqueria Canonita
3311 Las Vegas Blvd South
+1 702 414 3773

Las Vegas Art Stamps

Attraction | "Las Vegas Art Stamp Company"

Being very artistic, I always like to check out art stores in any town that I visit. More than one person told me to check this place out (although you need to rent a car or take a cab to get to it), and I am glad I went. They have an unusually beautiful and interesting collection of art papers for altered books, art journals, ATCs, etc. They also have a good supply of rubber stamps that run the gamut from whimsical to artistic to eclectic. Many other arts and crafts supplies are in the store, as well, like paints and clay and fibers and collage sheets and, and, and... you get the drift.

Las Vegas Art Stamps
2925 N. Green Valley Parkway, Suite A
Las Vegas, Nevada 89014
(702)367-0411

If you are a chocoholic, this is the place for you! You will need a rental car to get there, but I go every time. Pick up something for a loved one back home while you are at it. They have a self-guided tour that just takes a couple of minutes and ends up in the shop where a free taste awaits you. Then you can pick out chocolates to purchase. They also have a delightful cactus garden that is nice to stroll through, with all kinds of trees and cacti. We were lucky enough to see some blooming since it was still spring when we visited.

Ethel M's Chocolates and Cactus Garden
2 Cactus Garden Drive
Las Vegas, Nevada

Hoover Dam

Hoover Dam Photo, Las Vegas, Nevada
What a remarkable feat of engineering! The Hoover Dam was built in the 1930s, and it is amazing. The view from both sides is worth the trip, not to mention the Art-Deco statues.

Hoover Dam
US Highway 93 at the Nevada-Arizona border
Las Vegas, Nevada 89101

Red Rock Canyon

Red Rock Canyon Photo, Las Vegas, Nevada
We rented a car for a day and took in Red Rock Canyon as part of our journey. We managed to visit it right before sunset, so the colors of the rocks were amazing as the sun lowered in the sky and cast its glow on the red rocks of the canyon. We didn't have the shoes or the time, but I would recommend hiking around on some of the paths. There are many places to stop along the 13-mile loop that you drive, which starts just past the visitor's center and is one-way all the way around. Upon leaving the park and heading back towards Vegas, we spotted a pack of wild burros by the side of road. A perfect end to a perfect day of exploration.

Red Rock Canyon