Somewhere down in the old town, a narrow street comes out onto the Place Godeau, where the 10- to 11th-century Notre Dame du Puy cathedral and its huge 18th-century clock tower is located. The church was subsequently rebuilt in the 17th century. Inside the cathedral are three paintings commissioned from the then-unknown artist Peter Paul Rubens in 1601 by the Archduke Albert for the Santa Croce di Gerusalemme in Rome. They were given to Grasse in the 19th century. Appropriately, there is a painting of Christ Washing the Feet of the Apostles done by Jean-Honoré Fragonard in 1754. Also in the Place Godeau is 12th-century "Tour de Guet" (watch tower) at the Mairie, which was the Bishop's Palace.
Member Rating 4 out of 5 on April 15, 2005
Notre Dame du Puy Cathedral
Place Godeau Grasse
Le Puy-en-Velay, Auvergne