Jaisalmer Journals

Golden Fort in the Desert

A December 1990 trip to Jaisalmer by Vaidya

Quote: Well, I was posted at Jodhpur, and my work used to take me for trips to Jaisalmer, among other places in Rajasthan. Jaisalmer is a small town set up entirely in a desert.

Golden Fort in the Desert

The solitary train that plied between Jodhpur and Jaisalmer started its journey without any warning signal, so much so that I was about to miss the train. I was a regular at the Jodhpur station, and the platform had a large bell that sounded (gonged) before the departure of the trains. It was a cold December night and had I not been called by a fellow passenger, I would have been stranded on the platform itself. This person happened to be a photographer who wanted to graduate into a hotelier. The people of Jaisalmer are very helpful and talk a lot about themselves, which others may find a bit odd. They go out of the way to help you and to keep you company in the evenings (if you are alone). ...Read More

Gorbandh Palace Jaisalmer

Hotel | "Moomal"

This place is run by Rajasthan Tourism Development Corporation, a government enterprise. The hotel has rooms in addition to the log huts. Surprisingly, the rooms are more expensive than the log huts. I found the log huts to be a better option. They were on the open ground, with lots of space outside. The protection against the winter chill was lacking, but since they had provided warm blankets, I never felt frightened. There were live shows featuring local music and dance almost every night.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on April 12, 2005