Prague Journals

Prague to Perfection

A March 2005 trip to Prague by Krys T

Old Town Hall/Astronomical Clock Photo, Prague, Czech Republic More Photos
Quote: This was my first, and long-awaited, trip to Prague. This was a fabulous 4-day trip that I enjoyed so much, we're going back in a few months.

Prague to Perfection

Uplifting Photo, Prague, Czech Republic
I had the best time. I can honestly say I loved ALL of it. We had the most AMAZING weather, nonstop sunshine. It got cold overnight, with no cloud cover, so we had chilly mornings leading into increasingly warm afternoons - so much so that on Sunday afternoon, people claimed it to be 24°C in the sun! You couldn't have asked for better. The sights were varied, diverse, and plentiful. The people were friendly. The food was great, the beer was varied and lovely, and the prices remain seriously reasonable when compared to other city destinations. Best tip? Make sure to look up - everywhere! There are gargoyles, fab facades, wrought-iron statues - all not to be missed. It was a great ...Read More

Hotel Julian

Hotel

The hotel is a little off the beaten track in a fairly recently restored building. The lobby is welcoming, with two lounges and a little bar. There's a lift, and our rooms were on the fourth floor. I had a single room and my parents a double that almost formed a little suite. Both rooms were clean, spacious, and well equipped, with tea-making facilities, TV, shower, etc. The bed was comfortable, and there was heating or A/C, as the large windows keep the room light and airy. There was no street noise, and the only way we knew there were other guests is when we met them in the breakfast room. Service was helpful and efficient, for the most part. A very quiet, very nice hotel. ...Read More

Hotel Julian
Elisky Peskove 11,
420 2 57311150

Rybarsky Klub

We ate dinner at Rybarsky klub - the Old Fisherman's guild on on Kampa island - on the Friday night. We'd booked earlier, which is just as well, as there are only a few tables, and they were all full - people were actually turned away whilst we were there.

I started with salmon tartare, then grilled catfish in a lovely red pepper sauce with a mixed salad, followed by warm strawberries with vodka and vanilla ice cream. We had a bottle of the local Frankovka wine, served at the perfect temperature. Lovely food at reasonable prices.

NB: Specializes in fish, so if you don't like fish, it may not be for you.

Rybarsky Klub
U Sovových mlýnu 1
+420 257 534 200

Palffy Palace

Restaurant | "Palffy Palac"

We had Saturday night dinner here. We all dressed up a little and wandered there in a leisurely fashion. The receptionist's booking had been confused with the night before, but they put us in the bar, served us free fizz, and quietly and efficiently sorted it out. It's a beautiful room: chandeliers, mood lighting, linen, and crystal. I was glad we'd dressed for dinner - all the locals had - it was only tourists that hadn't bothered, so at least we fitted in rather than standing out. My meal was the "roast scallops served with Chinese radish, pomegranate, and tiger prawns," "chicken breast served with roasted baby carrots, walnuts, and wine Grapes," an...Read More

Palffy Palace
Valdstejnska, 14
Prague, Czech Republic 118 00
+420 2 5755 0522

St Nicholas Cafe

St Nicholas Cafe is downstairs in a low-vaulted cellar-type room that was dimly lit and decorated in the Moroccan style. It was lovely once the eyes adapted from the bright sunlight outside, and as people like to eat outside when it's sunny, this place was pretty quiet, which was nice. I had a salad with anchovies and feta, Mum had a bowl of olives, and Dad had a killer marinara pizza I had a little of. We had a couple of beers and relaxed for a while. Amazingly, the bill for all this came to about £12, not per head - that's total! Truly amazing.

St Nicholas Cafe
Trziste 7

Pivovarsky Dum

I have to say that we didn't eat here; we just drank, as this place brews its own range of beers, from the standard to the banana! You walk into the smell of brewing beer--yum. There's even a CAMRA certificate from their trip there last year, which was amusing. They make several different beers--I tried the sour-cherry beer and the banana beer; the best was their dark beer, which my parents had.

There's two sections to this place--the front bar, into which you enter, and a back room, which seems to have space when the front bar is full... but then you're a little out of the main atmosphere and away from all the brewing gear. So next time, I think I'd try and stay in the front bar.

Pivovarsky Dum
Lipova, 15
Prague 2, Czech Republic 120 00
+420 296 216 666

Restaurace Bar Bar

We had lunch here on Saturday. It's another cellared bar. It has exhibitions of local art on the wall - weird photos and sculptures in this instance.

I had a fab Thai Beef salad, followed by poached pears. We all had two courses, with beer, and I had a coffee. Lunch was twice as expensive as the day before - all of £20 for us all! The service was good, and even though cheap, the food was beautifully presented, on coordinating art pottery obviously made for the place, with their logo - a nice touch.

Restaurace Bar Bar
Vsehrdov 17
+420 257 312 246

The restaurant is up on the Petrin Hill and usually the second stop on the Funicular railway. Well, when we got to the railway, it turned out that it's closed for a month. A hill may not phase me, but it sure did to my Mum. Not having been prepared for it, she found it pretty hard going. Still, when we got to the top, the views were fantastic, and we had a window table, which we had been told wasn't possible, so they'd obviously rearranged due to a cancellation or something. After a recovery period, we settled down for a lovely meal. I had a duck liver salad with toast and sauce, Czech-style rabbit (wrapped with pancetta), and gnocchi. We shared two bottles of varying Frankovka (not as nice as the ...Read More

Restaurace Nebozizek
Petrinske sady 411
+420 257 315 329

Novomestsky Pivovar

Novomestsky Pivovar is another brewery - our third - and again, obviously designed for the massed hordes. The beer was okay, but the room we were in was empty and chilly. The odd coach party arrived to be swallowed into the void - the place is like a rabbit warren. Had we had a group, warmth, atmosphere, then maybe it would have been different. As it was, lunch was ham, a warm chicken salad, and nut cake. The second course followed on the heels of the first, yet still wasn't hot - which Mum's was supposed to be. There was only a delay for dessert, as we had to order it - then it arrived PDQ. However, after all that, the bill took forever and had to be chased as we all sat there irritated, a little glo...Read More

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on April 11, 2005

Novomestsky Pivovar
Vodickova, 20
+420 2 2223 2448

I have to admit to not being that impressed - it's a tad touristy and like a mass market. The beer was welcomed, though, and the shots of Bekarovka served with them seemed like a good idea, but looking back, a little less might have been better!

Still, it was busy, the staff was up to coping with the numbers, and there was definitely an atmosphere to the place - right down to the oompa duo.

U Fleku has been there a very long time, and does what it does well.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on April 11, 2005

U Fleku Beer Hall Restaurant & Brewery
Kremencová 11
+420 224934019

Charles Bridge

Attraction | "Charles Bridge (Karluv Most)"

Charles Bridge Photo, Prague, Czech Republic
This is the typical Prague tourist attraction - you've seen it on TV every time you've seen Prague. And it's pretty impressive. Sort of. It depends. The street stalls down the sides are actually better quality than you'd expect. But the sheer number of people at some times can make the bridge impassable and frankly unpleasant. However, early of a morning or evening, with Prague spread out above you (up to the castle) and behind you... it's a nice place to be.

Charles Bridge
Karluv Most

Old Town Hall/Astronomical Clock

Attraction | "Astronomical Clock & the Old Town Square"

Old Town Hall/Astronomical Clock Photo, Prague, Czech Republic
The Astronomical Clock is actually fairly impressive. We happened to be there at the right time a couple of times and found space in the inevitable gathered hordes to watch it go. It's almost nice, though, when they've all gone, and the sun shines off the gilding...

The Old Town Square itself is lovely - full of cafes - and when we were there, had an Easter market with egg-decorated trees and everything. We spent the odd happy hour eating and drinking in the sun here - chilly but lovely. Prices vary around the square - the Italian on the corner is actually cheaper for beer than the typical Pilsner places.

Old Town Hall/Astronomical Clock
Old Town Square
Prague, Czech Republic

Prague Castle (Hradcany Castle)

Attraction | "Prague Castle (Prazsky Hrad)"

The castle complex covers a multitude of sights - most of which are covered by the Prague card. It's hard to get a feeling for it as a castle as a whole - it feels more like the sum of many parts. Very impressive, though - and the hourly changing of the guard is fun too. We did St Vitus's cathedral, the Old Royal Palace (Stary Kralosky Palac), The Basilica of St. George (Bazilika Sv Jiri), the Powder Tower (Prasna Vez), and so on. We went around St George's abbey (Klaster Sv Jiri)- which I wouldn't recommend - lots of very average old Renassaince paintings which completely hide the interior of the builiding which used to be a nunnery. Ah well....t'was free.... Golden Lane (Zlata Ulicka) is the...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on April 13, 2005

Prague Castle (Hradcany Castle)
Castle District, Hradcany
Prague, Czech Republic 119 08
420 2 2437 3368

St. Vitus Cathedral

St. Vitus Cathedral Photo, Prague, Czech Republic
Read the guidebooks for the historical facts. But it is impressive. The Mucha window is worth seeing too. The best bit, however, is the 287-step climb to the top of the tower. Now - the climb can be a pai - crowded, spiral, and so on... but the views at the top more than make up for that.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on April 13, 2005

St. Vitus Cathedral
Prague Castle
Prague, Czech Republic 11908
+420 2 2437 3368

Obecni Dum (Municipal House)

Attraction | "Obecní Dùm (The Municipal House)"

This place is FABULOUS! It's literally breathtaking if you happen to like art nouveau. The glass, the design, the symmetry - everything. Oh, and the cafe does lovely cakes and coffee in the most beautiful of surroundings. The main hall is not open for random visiting - you can arrange it or go to one of the concerts there. It's just my kind of place and really blew me away. Probably my favourite Prague sight.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on April 13, 2005

Obecni Dum (Municipal House)
Namesti Republiky, 5
Prague, Czech Republic 11121
+420 2 2200 2101

Mucha Museum

This was top of my list of places to visit when I was planning my trip. It's a smallish collection of works from the Mucha foundation. But the best bit was the 20-minute film about him and his life. I love his work, and there wasn't actually enough of it there. The video, however, was well done and very informational. Unlike Madame, the till-meistress who threw a minor paddy at having to change a note for my ticket--aw diddums, like that's not her job!

Mucha Museum
Kaunicky palac
+420 224 216 415

We visited Kinsky Palace (Palac Kinskych) - which had an expo of Czech landscapes from the National Gallery, I believe. There was a whole range from old to modern - right up to an installation piece with video playing on the floor that the attendant actually recommended we sit in and take photos! When was the last time you were asked to take photos in a museum? Much fun--almost as much fun as the gruff guard who kept following me around the gallery into the various rooms. I tend to be nippy - nip in - and then, on my way out, I'd meet him coming in and he'd then have to pretend he'd just been going in randomly, not following me at all--very funny. So much so that I did it at least three times. *grin*

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on April 13, 2005

Palac Kinskych (Kinsky Palace)
Staromestske namesti 12
+420 224810750

This holds a selection of jewellery and costumes from the Museum of Decorative Arts. It's all beautifully displayed in a two small and well-spaced exhibitions spread over two floors. Very lovely, but very warm - and humid (presumably for the costumes also shown there) - so we didn't stay too long. Good for girls who like sparkly things!

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on April 13, 2005

Prazsky Kabinet Sperku (Prague Jewellery)
Cihelna 2b
Prague, Czech Republic

Petrín Hill (Petrínské sady)

Attraction | "Petrin Hill"

Petrín Hill (Petrínské sady) Photo, Prague, Czech Republic
This park is lovely--perfect for a quiet early morning wander. The sun shone, and Prague lay below us. There were birds in abundance - jays, blackbirds, blue tits, and even the sound of a woodpecker. Up at the top, taking a tactful rest stop, there from our bench, we even saw red squirrels - which nigh on made my day. They're so small and delicate - comparing them to grey squirrels is like comparing porcelain to pottery.

We wandered along, following the contours of the hill, and were able to join up with the castle complex again.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on April 13, 2005

Petrín Hill (Petrínské sady)
Over Malá Strana, adjacent to Prague Castle