Philadelphia Journals

Dali in Philadelphia

A March 2005 trip to Philadelphia by salomelovesjohn

Quote: My sister and I went to see the Dali exhibit in Philadelphia.

Sheraton Society Hill Hotel

Hotel | "Sheraton Society Hill"

The location can't be beat if you want to enjoy Philadelphia's nightlife. The hotel itself is clean and nicely decorated, and the rooms are nice, just what you'd expect from a Sheraton.

From the hotel, it's a short 2-block walk to the hippest nightlife in Philly. There are plenty of bars and restaurants attracting mostly a younger crowd in their 20's and 30's, but it is also an area older couples would enjoy. There are quite a few upscale restaurants in addition to dance clubs.

During the day, the hotel is within walking distance to the major historical sites. Really, the best way to enjoy and get to know the city is to walk it.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on April 8, 2005

Sheraton Society Hill Hotel
1 DOCK ST I 95
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19106
215-238-6000

The Eulogy Tavern is a Belgian Pub, complete with an extensive beer list and fabulous French/Belgian food. We had some of the fruit-flavored beer: my sister loved it despite her general dislike of beer. The atmosphere is louder and more pub-like downstairs, but upstairs offers a bit quieter of an experience. Still, this is a casual-dining place.

The mussels in a wine sauce were excellent, but larger than I expected. We also tried the brie-stuffed pastry; it, too, was very good.

The service was good and friendly. The decor was fun and casual. I would definitely go again.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on April 8, 2005

Eulogy Belgian Tavern
136 Chestnut St.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
(215) 413-1918

The museum is absolutely breathtaking. It sites atop a large staircase, much like the Metropolitan in New York City, but is even more imposing. We went to see the Dali exhibit, and it was worth the trip. It was a bit crowded, so if you can, go during the day when others are at work. We went early Saturday evening. The exhibit is quite extensive, covering his early and later works, the most popular being, of course, his surrealist period. I would warn that Dali is a bit graphic at times for children, and perhaps for some adults. The rest of the museum is fabulous, and it would take at least 2 days to do justice to the collection. One not-to-be-missed area is Duchamp's w...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on April 8, 2005