London Journals

Three Months in Europe

A September 2003 trip to London by backstage_diva

Quote: I spent three months 'studying' in London, but I just used it as a shower and a place to keep my textbooks. I mostly traveled alone, but my parents did visit for two weeks.

Yo Sushi

This is one of those conveyer-type sushi places, so it can get pricey. It's a fun atmosphere, and the cooks are willing to make something for you if you don't see one going around for awhile. It's entertaining to watch the cooks make the sushi. There's a good selection of chicken, sushi, and veggie sushi. They also have dessert. I went with a group of people, and it was fun to grab a plate and share/sample what was on it. A good introduction to sushi.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on April 16, 2005

Yo Sushi
Fulham Broadway Centre
London, England SW6 1BW
+44 (20) 7385-6077

Pizza Express

At my tube stop, we had Pizza Express. It is a nicer place but got rowdy during the Chelsea games. I would not wear shorts there, nor would I wear a tux. The food is mostly pizza, with maybe a few pasta and meat choices. It is a little more expensive, but you get what you pay for. It is very good pizza with real mozzarella, herbs, and great cheeses. This is not your ordinary pizza. The atmosphere is very simple and warm inside. The service is usually great, but I have had problems before. If you like Wolfgang Puck, try this place out. Decent wine selection too.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on April 20, 2005

Pizza Express
10 Dean Street
London, England W1V 5RL
+44 20 7439 8722

Cambridge Theatre

Attraction | "Jerry Springer - The Opera"

I saw this show three times, once at the National Theatre before it went to the Cambridge and twice once it opened there. I am not a huge fan of the television show, but I found this rendition very entertaining. It is true that all lines are sung, minus Jerry and the security guard, and the songs are very funny, with such titles as Talk to the Hand, I Just Want to Dance, and a song about the KKK, a man in a diaper, and a chick with a d**k. It's not for the faint of heart, though, as there are over 8,000 obscenities. Visually, the show was interesting. There are TV monitors for commercials, flames, and smoke. When I went, I was unsure of the Jerry actor, but the ones I saw both looked and sounded like ...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on April 16, 2005

Cambridge Theatre
Earlham Street
London, England WC2H 9HU
44 (0)870 895 5505

Piccadilly Circus

Attraction | "Piccadilly Nightclubs"

I went to a few clubs found in this area, the sports bar and the large one on the square. I don’t remember the name, but it’s a large one that always has people handing out flyers. Don’t bother going to any in the area. They are very overpriced for both admission and drinks. When I went, half the people I met were from Iowa. The other club- goers are rude on the dance floor and tend to roam underneath girls’ skirts. All the times I went, they got very busy very quickly. The music was not bad, though, and good for dancing. They have small dance floors.

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on April 16, 2005

London, England W1

I would always stop by here to get the flyer with upcoming events. There always seems to be a theme week, gay and lesbian or Charlie Chaplin. The staff is very nice and ticket prices are comparable to Odeon and Warner Brothers. There is even a place to get a drink and some food along the river outside. This is a great place to go for independent/foreign films.

National Film Theatre
Southbank
London, England SE1 8XT
+44 20 7928 3232

Dominion Theatre

Attraction | "We Will Rock You"

This has to be my all-time favorite show. The plot is much like Mama Mia - there isn’t one, but the music is incredible and the show is visually stunning. There are no words to describe my experiences with this show. The show takes place in the future, where real music is dead and all computer created. A few people have escaped the corporate brainwashing and live in the tube. They all have funny names, like Madonna, Bob the Builder, Cher, ect. They have read the names in books but do not know who the people are. The quest for the music finally leads them to Wimbledon, singing "We are the Champions." It must be the longest curtain call ever with "Bohemian Rhapsody." This show also has ...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on April 16, 2005

Dominion Theatre
Tottenham Court Road
London, England W1 OAG
+44 870 607 7400

There are just a few vendors under this bridge, but they seem to have hundreds of books. Spend some time skimming the spins on the tables; you might find a good one. I bought War and Peace for about £5. With the exchange rate, a little pricey but still cheaper than new. They are always replenishing the supply, so every hour, it seems new.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on April 16, 2005

Waterloo Secondhand Book Market
Under Waterloo Bridge
London, England

Camden Markets

Attraction | "Camden"

This is a huge, sprawling market. There are many alleys and alcoves that seem to open up from nowhere. Be aware that the Camden stop is exit only during some hours, and it's a walk to the next stop, and the buses are packed. Be very adventurous and open-minded when you go. I loved it, but I am what they call young still. They have everything from Doc Martens to clothes to flags to 'organic mushrooms' to cell phones to handmade jewlery. It's worth a look if you are not alone and do not mind some local colour. There is one spot, right when you exit the station, about a block down on your right, where they have some great Chinese carry-out food. Near the lock on the lefthand side is a neat area that turn...Read More

Camden Markets
Camden High Street
Camden, London, England NW1

Lush Cosmetics

Attraction | "Lush"

This is my favorite store. I still order from their online store. The best products they have are the bath bombs and their shampoos. The products are also organic. The bath bombs are balls of soap, usually with glitter or flowers in it. Once you drop it in your tub, it dissolves into an aromatic soapy tub. The shampoo comes in bar form. They are great for traveling, since you don't need to worry about bottles bursting, and very compact. They also have more traditional soaps, creams, and massage oils. Lush is also located around the world, but limited in the U.S.

Lush Cosmetics