Oahu Journals

6 days in Oahu

A March 2005 trip to Oahu by ongkenyong

Paradise Cove Luau Photo, Oahu, Hawaii More Photos
Quote: This is the second part of my three-part vacation to California and Hawaii with my fiance. We had a great time and would like to share our travel experience with everyone.

6 days in Oahu

The highlights of my trip include Waikiki Beach, driving around the island, Dole Plantation, hiking to Manoa Falls, the Paradise Cove Luau, snorkelling at Hanauma Bay, and climbing up Diamond Head.Quick Tips: Do get the Hawaii Entertainment Coupon book for great discounts and coupons. The savings you get will easily cover the cost of the book. I used Priceline.com for accommodation reservations and ended up paying a night, excluding taxes and fees, for a three-star hotel in Waikiki two shorts blocks from the beach. Go to the website below to read my review of the hotel, and check out the bulletin board on how to get such a great rate for the hotel using Priceline. http://p070.ezboard.c...Read More

Radisson Hotel Waikiki

Hotel | "Radisson Prince Kuhio Waikiki"

Radisson Hotel Waikiki Photo, Honolulu, Oahu
I have just returned from a 6-night stay at the Radisson Waikiki Prince Kuhio, bargained through Priceline for $68 a night. I had no hiccups during check-in and was given a room with a king-size bed. The quality of the room and furnishings exceeded my expectations for the price paid. My fiancée and I had no problems with noise, smell, cleanliness, or service. Go to the website below to read my review of the hotel and check out the bulletin board on how to get such a great rate for the hotel using Priceline.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on April 6, 2005

Radisson Hotel Waikiki
2500 Kuhio Ave.
Honolulu, Hawaii 96815
+808-922-0811

Haleiwa Eats

Restaurant | "Haleiwa Eats (Thai) - North Shore"

My fiancé and I were craving some hot Asian food and stumbled across this little Thai restaurant in the town of Haleiwa. The decor is very basic, with prices to match. We came in with low expectations, looking for a cheap, tasty meal to fill our tummies, and this place did not disappoint. We ordered the tom yum shrimp soup, green chicken curry, and aubergine - all very yummy. Having been to Thailand, I can confirm that the dishes were authentic. You can request dishes to be as spicy as you wish. Be careful asking for hot, as I found it spicy by my Asian standards. Compared to the Thai food at Keo's Waikiki, which we tried earlier, this place has twice the portions for half the price. ...Read More

Haleiwa Eats
66-079 Kamehameha Hwy
Haleiwa 96712

Nick's Fishmarket

Nick's Fishmarket Photo, Oahu, Hawaii
Nick's Fishmarket is an award-winning restaurant situated on Waikiki. Prices are high, as to be expected for this fine restaurant, rated as one of the best seafood restaurants in the world. We used a 2-for-1 dinner-entrée coupon found in the Hawaii Entertainment Book, saving us $29, more than the cost of the book. Get the book if you're planning to come here. We received first-rate seafood and professional service from crisp, formally clad servers. You start off being pampered with freshly baked bread served with homemade garlic butter, which is an appetiser unto itself. I couldn't resist ordering the pan-seared ahi tuna appetiser, one of their signature dishes. If you enjoy sushi, you MUST try thi...Read More

Nick's Fishmarket
2070 Kalakaua Ave.

Me B-B-Q

Me B-B-Q Photo, Oahu, Hawaii
We stayed at the Radisson Waikiki on Kuhio Avenue, situated on the eastern side of Waikiki. One day, we stumbled upon this quaint Korean barbeque corner store called Me BBQ, situated 3 blocks west of the hotel on Kuhio Avenue, while looking for a cheap eat for lunch. Items on the menu were particularly good, and the food we got blew us away. They were very, very tasty, with huge portions. I had their special, which is rice plus a choice of four kimchees (appetizers) and a variety of barbequed meats, while my fiancé had one of the noodle soups. Having been to Korea, the food tasted authentic and you can't complain about the prices. Do take a short walk here from the beach and grab your lunch her...Read More

Me B-B-Q
Kuhio Avenue

Keo's In Waikki

Restaurant | "Keo's (Thai)"

If you're looking for a nice Thai restaurant at Waikiki, Keo's is the place to go to. After asking around, this place was recommended to us by several people (and guidebooks), and the restaurant is a short walk away from the beach. There are plenty of tables inside and on the terrace, giving an idea of the popularity of this establishment. The menu is extensive and the food has been somewhat tailored to suit different tastes, i.e. Americanized. However, you can find some authentic Thai dishes, like pad Thai, green curry, tom yum soup, and glass-noodle salad. The food was a little pricey for the portions, but I would recommend this restaurant, as the location and service is good.

Keo's In Waikki
2028 Kuhio Avenue
Honolulu, Hawaii 96815

Paradise Cove Luau

Paradise Cove Luau Photo, Oahu, Hawaii
After a lot of research, I decided to go for the Paradise Cove Luau. There are others available on the island, but this had the best reviews. Having been there, I can see why. It's not cheap, but it’s definitely worthwhile for a fun-filled evening. Do use the coupon found in the Hawaii Entertainment Book for 25% off the ticket price. Tickets include round-trip transportation from Waikiki, which is good since the place is on the west side of the island. You get some drink coupons, but bring extra cash to upgrade to better drinks and purchase more.The food isn't great, but it’s not bad either. The night ends with an hour-long performance of Hawaiian song and dance not to be missed. Everyone left with...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on April 6, 2005

Paradise Cove Luau
2024 N King St
Oahu, Hawaii 96819

Snorkeling in Hanauma Bay

Attraction | "Hanauma Bay"

This is one of the most beautiful places in the world to snorkel. No worries for beginners; it just takes a few seconds to get used to breathing through your mouth. I'm a poor swimmer and rented a floater to help with buoyancy.

The waters are clear, and you don't have to go far before you start seeing fish and turtles. It's a magical experience swimming with the fishes feeding off the corals. The bay itself is beautiful and perfect for those wishing to just relax on the sand. You can go early to avoid the crowds, but the waters are a bit colder then. This is a must go for anyone travelling to Oahu. No regrets.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on April 6, 2005

Snorkeling in Hanauma Bay

Diamond Head State Monument

Attraction | "Diamond Head"

Diamond Head State Monument Photo, Honolulu, Oahu
It is an easy hike up to the top of Diamond Head, where you'll find one of the best views on the island. Bring water and a cap to provide relief from the sun. The only problem is that the hike can be tiring, and those less fit should set aside more time to complete the journey. We saw plenty of people, both young and old, and even a lady on crutches going up.

You can see Diamond Head looking south on Waikiki Beach. It looks impressive there, and the views are even better on top. If you've got time, it’s definitely worth going to, as it's a short trip from Waikiki itself by bus or on a rented moped (if you're adventurous).

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on April 6, 2005

Diamond Head State Monument
Diamond Head Road And 18th Avenue
Honolulu, Hawaii 96816
808-587-0285

Manoa Falls

It's a pleasant hike through the Hawaiian forest to get to the falls. The trail is well marked, and many parts have gravel and steps to help hikers. It's a nice activity for nature lovers and a nice change of scenery from the usual buildings and tourists at Waikiki. We enjoyed the fresh air and took many pictures along the way. The only downside is that you're not allowed to go into the falls, though, I imagine many have.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on April 6, 2005

Manoa Falls
end of Manoa Rd
Oahu, Hawaii 96822

The Dole Plantation is a worthwhile stop along the way to the North Shore from Waikiki. The most fun part of this place is working your way through the maze. Many of the free guidebooks have 2-for-1 coupons you can use. We didn't try the train ride or the tour of the plantation, as they seemed expensive.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on April 6, 2005

Dole Pineapple Plantation
64-1550 Kamehameha Hwy.
Wahiawa, Hawaii 96786

Lanikai Beach

My fiancé and I made the hour-long journey here from Waikiki to see what is reputed to be the most beautiful beach on Oahu. The beach is located on the windward (eastern) side of the island, and you'll need a car to get here. The beach is far less crowded compared to Waikiki, perfect for those who want romance and privacy. The sands are whiter and softer, too. All in all, I'd say the reputation is thoroughly deserved. This area is less touristy when compared to the south, so don't expect many shops and the usual activities.

Lanikai Beach
Mokulua Drive
Oahu, Hawaii 96734

North Shore Beaches

It took us nearly an hour and a half to get here from Waikiki by car, stopping to see the Dole Plantation halfway. There are several beaches along the North Shore, which is on the northern end of the island, with Sunset Beach and Pipeline (Ehukai) Beach among the better-known ones. The waves on this side of the island are bigger, making them perfect for surfing enthusiasts - the World Surfing Competition is held here. We didn't try surfing, but we certainly enjoyed relaxing on the beach, watching the pros have a go at it. It is definitely worth stopping here if you have a car and are trying to explore the island beyond Waikiki. As an added bonus, the nearby town of Haleiwa is a nice place to visit (se...Read More

North Shore Beaches
North Shore
Oahu, Hawaii

The town of Haleiwa is on the northern end of the island, which makes it a great pit stop for those travelling to the North Shore. Many shops line its main street for about 1 mile, with several restaurants, surf shops, cafés, and knickknack shops. The town is also home to Matsumoto's Shave Ice, reputedly the best on the island. For tourists on a budget, this town is great as a base, as food and accommodation is cheaper here. My fiancé and I enjoyed browsing through the shops, soaking in all this town has to offer away from commercialized Waikiki.