Los Angeles Journals

4 days in Los Angeles

A March 2005 trip to Los Angeles by ongkenyong

The Getty Center/J. Paul Getty Museum Photo, Los Angeles, California More Photos
Quote: This is the first part of my three-part vacation to California and Hawaii with my fiance. We had a great time and would like to share our travel experience with everyone.

4 days in Los Angeles

Highlights of my trip included watching the Lakers at Staples Centre, visiting the Getty Centre, going to Universal Studios, finding the Hollywood sign, and walking down the Walk of Fame.Quick Tips: I used Priceline.com for accommodation and ended up paying a night, excluding taxes and fees, for a three-star hotel in West Hollywood, L.A. Go to the website below to read my review of the hotel and check out the bulletin board on how to get such a great rate for the hotel using Priceline. http://p070.ezboard.com/fpricelineandexpediabiddingfrm112.showMessageRange?topicID=212.topic&start=27&stop=27Best Way To Get Around: A car is a must for L.A. Also, travelzoo.com is great...Read More

Andaz West Hollywood

Hotel | "Hyatt West Hollywood 3*"

Andaz West Hollywood Photo, West Hollywood, California
I have just returned from a four-night stay at the Hyatt West Hollywood, won through Priceline at $58 a night. I had no hiccups during check-in and was given a room with a king-sized bed, as I requested. The quality of the room and furnishings exceeded my expectations for the price paid. My fiancee and I had no problems with noise, smell, cleanliness, or service. Go to the website below to read my review of the hotel and check out the bulletin board on how to get such a great rate for the hotel using Priceline.

Andaz West Hollywood
8401 W. Sunset Blvd.
West Hollywood, California 90069

Hotel Bel-Air Restaurant

Restaurant | "Hotel Bel-Air, The Restaurant"

You really can't find a nicer place for a romantic evening with your partner. I was looking for a nice place on Sunday night, and this restaurant was one of the few good ones in L.A. that was open. As an added bonus, they do not charge corkage on a Sunday, and I was able to bring my own bottle of wine. The food was exceptional, and so was the service. Check out their website at www.hotelbelair.com for beautiful pictures of the place.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on April 6, 2005

Hotel Bel-Air Restaurant
701 Stone Canyon Road
Los Angeles, California 90077
Hotel front desk: +1

Wasabi

We needed to grab a quick meal before the movie and ended up at Wasabi. I had the chicken teriyaki special for $10, available for movie-goers. Out meal was a great value, and we had friendly service. Other diners were having sushi that looked reasonable, but we didn't have any time to try it.

Wasabi
Universal City Walk
Los Angeles, California

Universal Studios Hollywood

Attraction | "Universal Studios, Hollywood"

Universal Studios Hollywood Photo, Universal City, California
There are lots of fun things to do at Universal Studios. It is easy to see why this is the number one attraction in L.A. We were there on a Monday and got to see everything in a day without much queuing. The rides are not for thrill-seekers, as the park is geared for a relaxing time with family and friends. Do enjoy all the rides and the Universal Studio Tour. We ended the day by catching a movie at Universal Theatres on Universal City Walk. You get to save by setting off the ticket cost with the parking costs, giving you the cheapest movie tickets in Hollywood. Awesome fun.

Universal Studios Hollywood
100 Universal City Plaza
Universal City, California 91608
(818) 864 837-725

The Getty Center/J. Paul Getty Museum

Attraction | "Getty Center"

The Getty Center/J. Paul Getty Museum Photo, Los Angeles, California
This is located in an idyllic setting atop a hill with great views of the city. The highlight of the trip for me was getting to see Van Gogh's painting titled Irises, a must for any fan of Impressionist paintings. You can learn a bit about the center from the frequent free tours that give you insight into its well-known architecture and design. I don't have green fingers, but the gardens impressed me.

The Getty Center/J. Paul Getty Museum
1200 Getty Center Drive
Brentwood, Los Angeles 90049

Hollywood Sign

Hollywood Sign Photo, Los Angeles, California
You could hike up to the sign, which took 2 hours, but we didn't. In the end, the challenge was trying to find the best place to get pictures. We found this park area at the foot of the trail. We got directions from a local on how to get to the trail. Driving to that point was half the fun.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on April 6, 2005

Hollywood Sign
6342 Mulholland Highway
Hollywood, California 90068

Los Angeles Lakers

Attraction | "Lakers Game at Staples Centre"

Los Angeles Lakers Photo, Los Angeles, California
As a Lakers fan, I relished the prospect of watching my team live in action. Seats are expensive here, but there are savings to be had by getting the tickets off EBay. There are different levels of seating, with courtside seats going for over $1,000 a piece. I was reluctant to splurge, and settled for the cheapest seats on the third tier. I was pleasantly surprised to find excellent views, albeit cramped seats typical of such stadiums. I parked on an office block a 7-minute walk away for $5. This is a must for basketball fans.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on April 6, 2005

Los Angeles Lakers
1111 South Figueroa St
Los Angeles, California 90015
+1 213 480 3232

I went there mainly for a "been there, done that" factor. I took some nice shots to show friends and family. You can get tours of Hollywood homes, the Grauman Chinese Theatre, star's signs, and street entertainers. This is a must-do thing if visiting L.A., but it's hard to say why.

Hollywood Walk of Fame
Hollywood Blvd & Vine St.
Los Angeles, California 90028

Beverly Hills/Rodeo Drive Shopping District

Attraction | "Rodeo Drive: Pretty Woman Fame"

I came here to see what all the hype was about. This is another "been there, done that" thing. There are the same shops you'll find in any other upscale shopping district anywhere in the world. I guess if you had money to splurge, you could boost your image by shopping here, but don't expect any bargains.

Beverly Hills/Rodeo Drive Shopping District
Rodeo Drive (and surrounding area)
Los Angeles, California 90210

This could be a romantic spot I suppose, with the right person at the right moment, but it wasn't for me. Cloudy skies plus strong winds made it a forgettable experience. There are nearby beaches that look promising, but we weren't able to check them out. It is a worthwhile stop if you're in this neck of the woods or heading to the beach. However, I wouldn't sit through 2 hours of traffic on the notorious L.A. freeways just to come here.

Santa Monica 3rd Street Promenade