Sarasota Journals

A West Coast Treasure; Sarasota

A May 2004 trip to Sarasota by Dutchnatasja

Helmsley Sandcastle Hotel Photo, Sarasota, Florida More Photos
Quote: Sarasota, on the Gulf of Mexico. White sand, sun, and the sea. This is vacation for me. In this journal I will show you my favourite spots in Sarasota.

A West Coast Treasure; Sarasota

Sarasota, on the Gulf of Mexico, has white sand, sun, and the sea. This is a true vacation for me. Our favourite place to stay is the Helmsley Sandcastle on Lido Beach. They've got perfect rooms with a view on the beach and a balcony. At daytime, you can relax on the beach. You can swim, or when it gets too hot, you can relax under the cabana and read a book or take a nap. Sarasota, the center of the Theater and Arts District, is worth a visit!

Helmsley Sandcastle Hotel

Hotel | "Helmsley Sandcastle"

Helmsley Sandcastle Hotel Photo, Sarasota, Florida
Sarasota is one of my favourite spots. Not too many people--that's how I love to spend time on the beach! Lido Beach is south of Longboat Key, past St. Armand’s Circle. The perfect place for me is the Helmsley Sandcastle. We've stayed at the Sandcastle for the last 10 years, and it's always a nice place. It is an older hotel, but it's kept nicely. The location is excellent, right on the beach. We had a Gulf-view room, definitely the best at the hotel and worth the extra money. Waking up and hearing the sea, which is very relaxing, and stepping onto your balcony and looking out to sea was superb! Those rooms also have a refrigerator and lots of space, and they all are Gulf-front rooms. One t...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on April 4, 2005

Helmsley Sandcastle Hotel
1540 Ben Franklin Drive
Sarasota, Florida 34236

Coquina Beach County Park Photo, Bradenton Beach, Florida
If you like blue waters and white sand than this is the place for you. It was also the place for us. What a beautiful place to spend some time. Great pictures opportunities!

Coquina Beach is located on the south end of Anna Maria Island.

What has Coquina Beach (besides a blue sea and white sand) to offer?
- free parking
- lifeguards
- picnic tables
- a playground
- restrooms
- showers
- boat launch (across the street from the beach)

It's worth a visit!

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 8, 2006

Coquina Beach County Park
Anna Maria Island
Sarasota

This sanctuary and rehabilitation center treats more than 5,000 injured birds and other wildlife each year. It is home to more than 50 species of birds. The center has a public viewing area for bird-watching, a bird hospital, and a center office and gift shop. The admission to the Pelican Man is free. Donations are appreciated.

Location: On St. Armands Key

Address: 1708 Ken Thompson Parkway

Hours: Daily 10am to 5pm
There it goes, in to the sea Photo, Sarasota, Florida
I love to end my day at the beach with a beautiful sunset. I have seen many beautiful sunsets in my life, but the sunsets in Sarasota are really beautiful. I think it's the orange glow in the sky that makes it special. They called it “red sunsets”.

These pictures below were taken at Lido Beach. Many people walking along the coast, while viewing the amazing sunset, day after day.