Acapulco Journals

Acapulco Cliff Divers and More!

A December 2001 trip to Acapulco by samer_k

Acapulco  Photo, Acapulco, Mexico More Photos
Quote: Although more people seem to be going to the Yucatan, like Cancun and Playa del Carmen, this place shouldn't be left behind! The warmth of the Pacific Ocean and scenic cliffs make this place a must see!

Acapulco Cliff Divers and More!

Acapulco  Photo, Acapulco, Mexico
Cliff divers, amazing sunsets, great seafood, the Pacific Ocean, and views of the cliffs are here. There really is a lot to do here, and it is fairly affordable. It seems closer to tradition and feels more like Mexico compared to Cancun. The sunsets and the views of the beautiful cliffs tend to remind me a lot of the California coastline, especially La Jolla, San Diego, Santa Monica, etc. They have very similar topography. The water was warm around late December, just the way we like it! Within a few hours, you can be at the famous mining town of Taxco or the famous Grutas underground caves. Something else I remember vividly is the big high-rise condos that you can't miss, with big mo...Read More

Fairmont Acapulco Princess

Hotel | "Princess Hotel"

Well, I didn’t technically stay here, as in spend the night, but I spent two different days here, as we had brunch, which is to die for, and then spent another day at the pool and beach, which were also very nice. We would have liked to have stayed here, except we were already committed to the condo, but if I was to go back, I would like to stay here. It is a bit remote from the other major hotels along the main area of Acapulco's hotel strip, but nevertheless, that is even better, as the beach was fabulous. The amenities were very nice. The pool is great for kids, especially because they have slides and waterfalls and it feels like a tropical jungle! Very nice. The brunch was very ...Read More

Fairmont Acapulco Princess
PLAYA REVOCALDERO SN BOX 1351
Acapulco, Mexico 39907
01152744 469-1000

Perla

Restaurant | "La Perla"

If it is a special occasion or peak time, it wouldnt hurt to have a reservation. Whether day or night, this is a heck a of a place to eat a good meal and watch the divers from the 100+ feet cliffs.

Everyone knows this place. The area where the cliff divers are is known as Quebrada.

I had a surf and turf combo--very good.

Service was good, and it is nice how the restaurant is on a decline for a nice view of the water and the divers.

Perla
Plazoleta La Quebrada No. 74
Acapulco, Mexico 39620
+52 744 831155

Taxco Side Trip

Story/Tip

This was a town famous for its silver when the Spanish used to mine silver from here. There are no resorts here! But it's an authentic town that truly reminds you of the old classic Mexican town from the movies. Yes, you can buy silver, from a cheap $20 necklace to some thousands and thousands, you will have plenty of opportunites to buy!

We also took a walking tour of the town and saw the city square, as well as the old church; it was definitely going back in time, it seemed. We had a lunch on a rooftop and continued to another part of our tour. We had a private car take us instead of a coach tour.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on April 4, 2005

The La Quebrada cliff divers are the main attraction in Acapulco. These divers are world-famous and are definitely a "must-see" attraction. The diving shows run throughout the day; however, the last show at night is enhanced with the addition of torches. We were somehow able to get in for a New Year's multi-course dinner at the famous Mirador area, and it was reasonable and an interesting way to spend New Year's Eve. As we ate, there was music, entertainment, and the climax of the night were the cliff divers who start out diving in all kinds of formations, but it is quite the sight to see them with the torches for sure! The divers came by and took photos with us and even to...Read More
I have been to some underground caves in Lebanon and Austria, and these were just as fascinating! These caves were much better for walking, and believe me, we did a lot of walking! We did this along with our side trip to Taxco. It was well worth it, but please wear tennis shoes or hiking boots--your feet will thank you later!

The admission is about $3, and there are guides once you are there who, for a small tip, will guide you to see the amazing formations, stalagmites, and other formations underneath. It is really hard to take any photos, and in fact, if I remember, it isn't even permitted, although I saw some not caring!

It is about a 2.5-hour drive from Acapulco.