London Journals

London for a Week

A March 2005 trip to London by Maggiemae629

Quote: Although my time in London was limited, I experienced a lot and am happy to share my experiences. The travel journals helped me with decisions I made for my trip, so this is my way of saying thanks.

St. Christopher's Inn

Hotel | "St. Christopher's Inn-The Villiage"

This was my first time staying in a hostel, and it couldn't have been better. St. Christopher's has a fun and friendly staff, a comfortable feel, and it's really fun! We arrived at 7 am and couldn't check in until 2pm, but they have a locked room to put your bags in and a chill-out room where you can hang out in, watch movies, play games, etc. Breakfast in the morning was coffee, cereal, and toast, and it's a savior for those mornings when you spent too much time at their bar Belushi's. We met great people, had a blast, slept well, and would go back in a second. We actally booked a hotel for the last two nights in London, spent one night there, and went back to the hostel. It's...Read More

St. Christopher's Inn
121 Borough High Street
+44 (171) 407-18546

Messuer C

We found this little deli on our first morning in London. Tired, jet-lagged, and starving, we wandered Burough High Street and took a chance. Best chance I've taken--the food was excellent and reasonable. We mostly ate breakfast there... they have a sandwich called the Breakfast BAP, which has eggs, bacon, and sausage. Although the bacon is not like the American style, it was still good. My friends tried the tuna sandwhiches, and they were great, too.

The place is run by an Italian family that we got to know during our short stay. The coffee was excellent, and we ending up eating there at least four times during our 7 days in London.

Messuer C
100 Burough High Street

Old Spitalfields Market

Attraction | "Spitalfields Market"

I believe this market is only open on Sundays. Bring cash with you becuase no credit cards are accepted. But beware, a few of the locals told me that it's a magnet for pick-pocketers. We were there on Easter Sunday so there weren't as many people there. We had so much fun here in just a few short hours: there's jewelery and clothes that I wanted to buy from every booth. Purses, shoes, you name it. There was also a wide variety of food sold there, from coffee to bread to fruit. I purchased some olives and feta cheese from a Mediterranean stand that was SOOO good. I will be craving it until I return. We also bought some baked goods and sat down at one of the coffee shops along the outer edges...Read More

Old Spitalfields Market