New York Journals

The City That Never Sleeps!

An August 2003 trip to New York by samer_k

View from Ferry Photo, New York, New York More Photos
Quote: I will talk about the multiple times I have been here, as I have been to New York about three times in the past few years. I think that if I went there 30 more times, I wouldn't come close to knowing this city!

The City That Never Sleeps!

Wall Street Photo, New York, New York
For the longest time, this city made me nervous! I really don't know why, but once yuo start exploring Manhattan you truly get fascinated about the Big Apple. Yes, it is expensive, and yes, it is bit crowded at times, but it is still exciting and very much a cultural experience. As you can imagine, there are so many neighborhoods, and they truly are unique; whether it is dining, shops, or Broadway, there is so much out there. Quick Tips: Car? Fuggedaboutit! All airports are very accessible anyway via public transport--taxi or bus. Stay in Manhattan, though, if you can, to really get a feel for the city. The closer you are to Broadway and certain touristy areas, it can be ...Read More

Grand Hyatt New York

Hotel | "Grand Hyatt"

I thought this was a fantastic location, and at the time, we got a decent rate of about $150 a night. It is literally seconds from the Grand Central Station, which will be useful when you use the subway. The rooms were medium-size, yet comfortable, but I expected that for New York. Unless you go to the $250-$300 range, that is probably expected there. The location was also central to a lot of famous spots, and we were able to get there by foot. A few blocks away, toward 8th and Broadway, was the famous Times Square. There were lots of places to eat nearby. The hotel was good and very centrally located. I can't say we ate there, except a quick bagel at the on-site Starbucks, ...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on March 30, 2005

Grand Hyatt New York
Park Avenue at Grand Central Terminal
New York, New York 10017

Clarion Hotel Park Avenue

Hotel | "The Clarion Park Avenue"

I thought that, for the money, this was a good hotel; it was basic, boutique-style, and very New York. Normal rates are about $150, but via Priceline, I got it for about $80 a night. As you may know, for New York, that is very good unless you want to stay in New Jersey! Rooms were comfy but expectedly small. Location was easy enough--Park Ave. and 5th. So getting around by foot or by cab wasn't difficult for the cabbies taking me around. I didn't eat in the hotel; there was a basic cafe attached to it. I usually got something on the road. Getting something to eat is not an issue in New York! For a moderately priced hotel, I would reccommend this. Getting...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 31, 2005

Clarion Hotel Park Avenue
429 PARK AVENUE SOUTH
New York, New York 10016
212-532-4860

Soup Kitchen International Photo, New York, New York
Since I am a Seinfeld fan, this was a must-see! And in all honesty, even if you aren't, it was simple but good! For those not familiar, like the show, a line forms, and everyone knows what to do. The place is a small, New York-like hole-in-the wall. Absolutely no place to sit, but there is a long wait!

They give you a gourmet-style bowl of soup, like a goulash, lobster bisque, etc., along with fruit, bread, and dessert. It is about $10, hits the spot, and was fun to see a place that was on such a famous show!

He didn't yell at us or anything like that!

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on March 31, 2005

Soup Kitchen International
259 W. 55th Street
New York, New York

ESPN Sports Zone

Restaurant | "ESPN Zone"

I went to the Ultimate Sports Bar in the heart of Times Square. The food was good. I had a chicken sandwich with wings.

Of course, there were big screens - a sports-lover's paradise!

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 31, 2005

ESPN Sports Zone

New York, New York 10036

Central Park

Truly a nice breath of fresh air amidst the skyscrapers and large crowds. Although to some it may seem small, there some very interesting spots here!

You have a lot to do here--you can take a romantic horse-drawn carriage ride, see the ducks and birds on the water and running streams, lots of walking trails, and an oversized merry-go-round ride too! Musicians play here, and of course, depending on the time of year, there may be a festival or live entertainment.

Don't forget the hot dog vendors and others along the edges of the park too!

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on March 30, 2005

Central Park
59th To 110th Streets Between Fifth Avenue And Central Park West
New York 10023

View from Ferry Photo, New York, New York
I had been here when I was a kid, and it was good to come back. When I see the famous statue, it truly takes me back to when many immigrants made that long journey to be a part of this great country. You basically take a ferry near Battery Park. It is a nice ride, and of course, what a view of the Manhattan buildings! We weren't allowed to climb the statue as I did when I was a youngster; I really wished we could have done that. It is small island--the bigger island is Ellis and really made my mind drift, as we saw various photos of past immigrants and what they all did as their new lives began in the U.S. with this famous stop! This tour is worth doing. There's no cost to tour--it's...Read More
This is yet another must-see. I have been here several times, and you feel like you have left the US for a bit!

It is a great place area to buy souvenirs and have coffee, Italian food, Chinese, or whatever gets your attention.

I have seen similar neighborhoods in Toronto and San Francisco, but the nice thing is that these two famous neighborhoods are next to each other and easily accessible by subway.

Take the subway towards the Bronx. You will want to stop at Canal Street, which will put you in the heart of Chinatown, and a few blocks over you will find Little Italy.

Even though I thought New York to be relatively expensive, the shopping selection and prices were much better than I thought. We ventured to the SoHo area (South of Houston), and I found it to be a trendy, vibrant area with lots of shops, restaurants, and cafés - I loved it. I plan to go back to take my wife shopping there. I didn’t find it pricy. Now, keep in mind that New York is the capital of knock-offs and grey-market type of stuff, so be cautious.

Times Square

Story/Tip

I don't think this needs much explanation, but it is truly the city of big lights and at its brightest in this part of Manhattan.

Very bright neon signs, restaurants, billboards… you name it, it is there, whether it is the NASDAQ ticker or Coca-Cola ads. It is bright and very New York and American.

Of course, there are nice places to have coffee and New York Pizza, and we stopped at the Marriott Times Square for dessert, but these places are scattered all over!

Broadway Theater

Attraction | "Broadway Theater - Les Miserables"

We absolutely did this as a last minute thing and had no prior reservations, but you can buy last-minute tickets for all kinds of shows and still get decent seats, as we did.

You will be amazed at how many shows are going on. You may be confused as to what to see! I would like to go back just to attend some more shows.

The show, of course, was great and beats anything I have seen in my own area. After all, it is Broadway!

Broadway Theater
Theatre District, Times Square
New York, New York

Rockefeller Center

Famous for the Christmas Tree at their famous skating rink, this is a grand building, and you can take a tour of the NBC studios where Conan O'Brien does his thing. Also, they have a nice restaurant on the 55th floor--food is good and the view great, as you see Manhattan and its city lights. The restaurant is pricey, but food is good--usually, places with such a view have average food at best.

Rockefeller Center
49th to 50th streets
New York, New York 10020

I didn't go all the way to the top and was a bit disappointed. The visibility was poor, so it was advised not to pay admission and go all the way up to the watch-deck. So my advice is to call ahead of time to see how the visibilty is!