Chicago Journals

Windy City, especially in spring!

An April 2004 trip to Chicago by samer_k

Quote: I have been to Chicago several times: twice around this time of year to attend a Convention at the McCorkmick Convention Center, the other time in the summer, which to me the later is the best time to go.

Windy City, especially in spring!

The city of skyscrapers and classic American food! Chicago is a unique city for sure. It has many nicknames, it seems, and for sure when I was there in April, I could testify that it is the windy city... but there is more!

Book your hotel in advance, especially before any convention! Sounds simple, but hotels there are pricey, similar to Manhattan, and you will want to stay downtown, as it is easier to get around that way. Parking is also at a premium.

O'Hare airport is much further from downtown, so try to fly into Midway if you can.

Cab and foot or the L train.

This was a solid Hyatt standard hotel, and the rooms were spacious, even for a big city. I have stayed at the Grand Hyatt Manhattan, and these rooms were bigger.

The good thing for us is that it was very convenient to the shuttle bus that took us to the McCormick Convention Center, so we didn’t have to worry about taking a cab.

But it was very, very cold, even in early April. It was a good thing there was a Starbuck’s across from the hotel!!!

Breakfast was very good, with quick service and moderately priced choices. Since we were there for business, that was important to us.

Hyatt on Printers Row
Printers 500 S Dearborn St
Chicago, Illinois 60605

Gino's East

This is a classic and a place that I go to every time I am in Chicago. This particular location is the famous one downtown and a nice place to dine in at; get there early and wait your turn!

We placed our order in advance, and it still took 45 minute. Trust me, it is worth the wait. Now, some people don’t like Chicago-style, but if you are a true pizza lover, you will like this. Even when we got home the pizza was delicious!

Gino's has multiple locations, and you are bound to find one close by, but unfortunately, not near my hometown!

Gino's East
633 N Wells St
Chicago, Illinois 60610

Navy Pier

Lake Michigan is very vibrant, especially around the summertime. The Navy Pier is an extension of this, and I actually went there Labor Day weekend in 2003 for the first time. There is fun for the whole family. First of all, the pier overlooks the lake, and it is nice to walk and enjoy the music, food, and other activities there. My wife and I took a Ferris wheel ride there, and we admired the Chicago skyline and the evening lights from high above. They also have a mall at the end of the strip with vendors, ice cream, and other shops. It is lots of fun, and often in the summer you are treated to a firework show. You have to love fireworks over the water - always nice! Ma...Read More

Navy Pier
600 East Grand Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60611

McCormick Place

Story/Tip

This is a huge convention center, and if you have to go to a convention here, it isn't bad. I just wish there were other things around, as it seems a bit far from everything else, but then again, when your feet are tired from walking all day, you want to go to your hotel and rest anyway!

They are limited on food choices it seems, and I wasn't impressed with their food-court cafeteria. I have seen better in Orlando and a few other places, especially since Chicago is known for good food!

Shuttles were convenient and accessible to most hotels, so there was no need for a car here. I am sure it is a nightmare to park!