Knoxville Journals

Women's Basketball in Knoxville

A March 2005 trip to Knoxville by kwasiak

Knoxville, Tennessee Photo, Knoxville, Tennessee More Photos
Quote: I ended up in Knoxville to see the U of A women's basketball team play in the first round of the 2005 NCAA tournament. While here, I also got to see the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame.

Women's Basketball in Knoxville

Knoxville, Tennessee Photo, Knoxville, Tennessee
Obviously the highlight of the trip was seeing the Arizona Wildcats beat Oklahoma 72 to 69. I also enjoyed seeing Polkey’s and Sybil Dosty’s jerseys in the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame.

We rented a car because we had to come back to the airport hotel for the pep rally on the day of the game. We found the rental price very reasonable at under a day. We could have walked to the game and Hall of Fame from our hotel if we had wanted.

Hilton Knoxville

Hotel | "Hilton Downtown"

Hilton Knoxville Photo, Knoxville, Tennessee
We stayed on the top floor of the hotel. We found the hotel nice and the employees very helpful. When we discovered that the soda in the machine came out warm, they quickly gave us cold replacements. Our room had a king-size bed and a fold-out coach. The toiletries were the usual soap, shampoo, and conditioner, and there was also make-up remover and mouthwash. Although neither my mom nor I wear make-up, we found it a very thoughtful amenity.

The view from our room was spectacular. We could see downtown Knoxville. On the other side of the building you can see University of Tennessee.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 21, 2005

501 W CHURCH ST
Knoxville, Tennessee 37902
865 523-2300

Hilton Knoxville

Restaurant | "The Market Cafe at the Hilton"

Hilton Knoxville Photo, Knoxville, Tennessee
We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant one morning. The only breakfast options are the continental or full buffet. The continental buffet looked a little lacking in the fruit area, which is why I usually go for the cheaper option, so I instead went with the slightly more expensive full buffet. The full buffet included freshly made waffles; an omelet bar; and the usual eggs, bacon, etc. We also had dinner here one night. We had great stuffed mushrooms and a nice warm, small loaf of bread for our appetizer. For dinner my mom had the meatloaf and I had the shrimp scampi. The food was great. The only complaint with the restaurant is that we had to wait 15 minutes befo...Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on March 22, 2005

501 W. Church Avenue
Knoxville, Tennessee 37902

Women's Basketball Hall of Fame

Women's Basketball Hall of Fame Photo, Knoxville, Tennessee
There is no mistaking that this building has something to do with basketball. On the roof is the world’s largest basketball. This basketball is 30 feet wide, weighs 20,000 pounds, and has 96,000-plus pebbles. Before entering the Hall of Fame exhibits, you are shown a movie that illustrates the history of women’s basketball. Imagine playing basketball in skirts, as they did 100 years ago. The first exhibit after you leave the theater contains more information on the first 100 years of women’s basketball, from the first tip-off to the NCAA championship. After walking past a version of an early locker room that looked more like a storage closet, you enter an area that resemble...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on March 25, 2005