Taos Journals

Spring Break Taos (Lessons)

A March 2005 trip to Taos by mpd7336

Ernie Blake Snowsports School Photo, Taos, New Mexico More Photos
Quote: Never-ever skiers, we went to Taos to see if we would like it. We didn't... we LOVED IT!

Indian Hills Inn Taos Plaza

Hotel | "Indian Hills Inn"

Disappointing. For the money, I could have stayed at the Hampton Inn and been MUCH better off. The website sells it as a nicer place than it was. The carpet was old and loose (rolls in it), there was no clock radio, we had to pay for local calls, and there was no hair dryer (only one loaner available). The continental breakfast was mini-bagels, mini-muffins, toast, coffee, orange juice, and cranberry juice.

The table/desk in the room almost fell apart when I put my briefcase on it. I'm disappointed that Taos Ski Valley has it listed as one of the "local inns" that sets up special package deals.

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on March 21, 2005

Indian Hills Inn Taos Plaza
233 PASEO DEL PUEBLO SUR
Taos, New Mexico 84571
1-505-758-4293

El Taoseno Restaurant & Lounge

Restaurant | "El Taoseno"

This is a "local" place with awesome food. It is nothing fancy but offers good service and reasonably priced, Mexican/Southwest cuisine. The food isn't listed as "spicy," etc., so have a good idea or ask. If the food calls for spice (hot), that's how it will arrive, unless you ask differently.

Sopapillas are offered, or you may have tortillas. Go with the sopapillas, they're huge, hot and delicious. With a little of the honey provided, they are a tasty desert.

You'll see mainly locals there because it's not on the trendy end of town close to the slopes. However, we saw a few other cost-conscious ski families there as well.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on March 21, 2005

El Taoseno Restaurant & Lounge
819 Paseo Del Pueblo Sur
Taos, New Mexico 87571

Ernie Blake Snowsports School

Attraction | "Taos"

Ernie Blake Snowsports School Photo, Taos, New Mexico
What an awesome place, especially for first-timers such as we were. The ski staff was great (Leslie at the Ernie Blake School ROCKS), as was everyone else there. Having once been in the service industry, I know good service, and they gave it. We got there as a winter storm hit, dumping lots of fresh powder (16 inches over 24 hours). Taos Ski Valley (TSV) takes great pride in being a ski-only (no snowboards) area. This spoiled me. The roads in New Mexico had been closed due to the storm, so the lift lines were short. According to our instructor, about it was four times fewer than what they were planning--great for us, bad for them. If you are new to skiing, I can't recom...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on March 21, 2005