Edinburgh Journals

Winter Wonderland

A December 2000 trip to Edinburgh by Marba

Edinburgh Castle  Photo, Edinburgh, Scotland More Photos
Quote: My last trip to Edinburgh was magical. I went right after Christmas and arrived there in the middle of a blizzard. Edinburgh was magical. Princess Street Garden had amusement rides and a skating rink set up for Hogmanay. I attempted a photo of Edinburgh Castle in the snow.

Winter Wonderland

Edinburgh Castle  Photo, Edinburgh, Scotland
Edinburgh is an enchanting city. I love spending time walking the Royal Mile and always make a visit to Edinburgh Castle. The people are so warm, hospitable, and glad to share the history and tales of Edinburgh.

Pub meals and soups are my best recommendations.

It is an easy city to walk.

Old Waverley Hotel

Hotel | "Old Waverly Hotel"

I like the Old Waverly Hotel first for the location. It's right across from the Waverly Train Station and the bus to the airport. If you're lucky, you can get a room with a view of the castle. I've enjoyed great meals in the hotel lounge.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 18, 2005

Old Waverley Hotel
43 PRINCES STREET
Edinburgh, Scotland
44-131-5564648

The George Hotel

Hotel | "George Intercontinental"

If you're looking for a lush place to stay, this is a good choice, just a 5-minute walk from Waverly Station. It is a charming old building, once an insurance company office building in the 19th century. Even the single rooms are generous. The main dining room has a wonderful old-world feeling, and the service is top-notch. The staff is very friendly, and on one trip, the bellman helped me stamp my postcards. I love the Scots!

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on March 21, 2005

The George Hotel
19-21 George Street
Edinburgh, Scotland EH2 2PB
+44 1312 251251

Abottsford Pub

I have eaten here twice, and both meals have been excellent. There's a wide variety of Scottish and international cuisine. Its upstairs forms the pub, so there is a full bar and extensive wine list. The service has been excellent as well. I have never had a reservation, but as it is a small room, one might be recommended.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 21, 2005