Prague Journals

Magical, Mystical Prague!

A March 2005 trip to Prague by Reneek

The quintessential Ex-pat hangout Photo, Prague, Czech Republic More Photos
Quote: To date, Prague is the most beautiful city that I have ever seen.

Magical, Mystical Prague!

The quintessential Ex-pat hangout Photo, Prague, Czech Republic
Must sees: the Charles Bridge, Astronomical Clock, Mucha Museum, Wenscelas Square, Vysherad, Prague Castle Complex, including St. Vitus's Cathedral, and the Jewish Quarter in Old Town. Quick Tips: Do visit the wonderful Jazz Club and restaurant Por Favore on Tomasska Street. The food (and serving sizes) is wonderful, as is the jazz music. They also offer free Internet service. It is located steps from the Hotel Waldstein and right around the corner from the Charles Bridge.Best Way To Get Around: The Prague Metro is the absolute best way to get around from district to district. You will have a choice between riding the trains, trams, or buses, which are easily accessible from any ...Read More

Hotel Waldstein Annex

Hotel

This hotel has gotten mixed reviews on Tripadvisor.com, but all in all, I was pleased with my accommodations. I booked via a package deal at www.nordiquetours.com. We stayed in the annex (apartment) wing of the main hotel that was accessed via a courtyard. The rooms were spacious two-bedroom suites with a newly remodeled bathroom with a separate shower stall. The toilet was located on the other side of the suite next to the kitchenette. The furnishings were antique but sturdy. There was a television in each bedroom, and the only English channels were CNN and MTV when they weren't dubbed in German. The rooms were cleaned like clockwork every day. The reception staff was superb and seemed to...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 19, 2005

Hotel Waldstein Annex
Valdstejnske Namesti 6
Prague, Czech Republic

We decided to have a late lunch at Por Favore, where I ordered a large portion of grilled salmon rolled in sesame seeds on a bed of freshly steamed spinach and a side of steak fries au gratin and my daughter ordered chicken noodles, which we thought would be a soup that would be great for her cold, but it was a huge bowl of a bed of noodles topped off with what appeared to be a whole chicken! We each had apple strudels as our desserts and sodas. The cost for everything, including tip, was $27!!! After that meal, we seriously doubted that we could make room for dinner, and we were right!

They also have FREE Internet access!

See http://www.porfavore.com/.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on March 19, 2005

Por Favore Jazz Club
Tomášská 14 - Mala Strana
Prague, Czech Republic
+420 777 911 908

Mucha Museum

We were bowled over by the talent of this great man. I'd always been a major fan of the Impressionist movement, and now I must count art noveau as a favorite too. Alfons Mucha led a very interesting life and died tragically, but his talent was undeniable. I found their website here; I'm sure that you'll enjoy it: http://www.mucha.cz/index.phtml?S=home&Lang=EN.

He designed the front of the Municipal House and some of the windows in St. Vitus's cathedral, and we were lucky enough to purchase some lithographs before we left Prague. We are forever changed by the experience.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on March 19, 2005