Charleston Journals

The Colors of Charleston

A June 1999 trip to Charleston by Harris

Quote: Arriving in Charleston for a literary conference on James Joyce where I was to present a paper on Ulysses, the colorful city beckoned me from my conference duties, convincing me to set out on an odyssey of my own.

The Colors of Charleston

The best thing about Charleston is that it is a city of many colors--literally. Nowhere else have I seen such a beautiful display of colorful architecture, set off by magnificent gardens.

Charleston in the summer is unbearably hot. Dress properly and seek out the air conditioning whenever you can.

Walking is the best way to get around--and the most scenic way. Since the entire city can be easily traversed on foot, there is no need to seek out other forms of transportation, unless the hot weather makes walking particularly unpleasant.

Francis Marion Hotel

Hotel | "Westin Francis Marion"

The Westin Francis Marion is a beautiful hotel that captures the Southern flavor of Charleston perfectly. Though our room was small, it was well-furnished and clean. The huge lobby area is a great place to relax. One added benefit was that the hotel was connected to the conference center, so I never had to leave the air conditioning to attend sessions.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 2, 2000

Francis Marion Hotel
387 KING STREET
Charleston, South Carolina 29403
843-722-0600

Library at Vendue The

Restaurant | "The Library at Vendue"

Since my boyfriend was kind enough to do most of the driving on our trip from New York to Charleston, I hoped to reward him with a romantic evening out--especially since the conference happened to coincide with our second anniversary. The Library, with its many different rooms and settings, was the perfect place to dine. We had a room virtually to ourselves, an attentive waiter, and delicious food.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on July 2, 2000

Library at Vendue The
23 Vendue Range
Charleston, South Carolina 29401

Charleston Visitor Reception and Transportation Center

Attraction | "House and Garden tours"

There are several tours that take you into the houses of Charleston, offering historical information on the family that lived there, as well as the furnishing and architecture. The upper floors of the houses usually provide exceptional view of the water as well. And be sure to check out the grounds and gardens, all impeccably kept.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 2, 2000

Charleston Visitor Reception and Transportation Center
375 Meeting Street
Charleston, South Carolina 29401
+1 888 449 8687

Rainbow Row

Rainbow Row is Charleston's most colorful street, a series of houses, each painted in a different pastel color. It's nearly impossible to capture the effect of this street on film (I tried) so take it all in while you can.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on July 2, 2000

Rainbow Row
99 East Bay
Charleston, South Carolina

Downtown area

Story/Tip

In addition to the residential area of Charleston with is unusual architecture, the commercial district has much to offer, including plenty of restaurants and shops. We stopped for lunch at a studenty coffee shop, where the owner was particularly friendly. In general, the people of Charleston exude Southern hospitality. There are many interesting stores that sell everything from photographs to housewares, as well as some unusual art galleries.