Las Vegas Journals

Elton John Weekend

A February 2005 trip to Las Vegas by ballhawk

Quote: I took a long weekend with my wife and went to MGM, Luxor Steakhouse, Bertolini's Restaraunt in the Forum Shops, an Elton John concert, and a convention to boot.

Elton John Weekend

I had a convention in Vegas for the weekend and wanted to make the most of it with my wife. I did some preplanning and investigating for the maximum time/fun I could get.

I got the tickets to Elton John online about 3 weeks before we went, so I was sure we were going to have a nice seat and not have to settle for what we could get.

I took taxis and the monorail for business and pleasure depending on where I was going.

MGM Grand

Hotel

We stayed in a Hollywood suite. I had been checking online for a suite on the Strip, and because of the convention, most were taken or $500 per night. The MGM operator on the phone did better than the online prices, offering a 1,000-square-foot room with a sitting room and a bedroom with a huge bathroom for $250 per night. I have stayed in the smaller rooms there before, and for the extra $100, it was well worth it.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on March 14, 2005

MGM Grand
3799 Las Vegas Blvd. S.

Bertolini's Authentic Trattoria

Restaurant | "Bertolini's"

We were going to the Elton concert, and I knew this restaurant was there but did not know its name. The restaurant is located in the mall area in Caesars, and you find it close to the entry in the open area. You can sit in the mall area or inside the restaurant. We sat inside, which seemed quieter. We asked for nonsmoking, but our table was next to the smoking section of the bar and as close to the smoking section as you can get. The restaurant was busy, but we were seated right away. We told the waitress that we were going to the show and she said it was no problem. We had the artichoke dip, which was okay and served hot and promptly. They also brought us warm bread, which was good. My wif...Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on March 14, 2005

Bertolini's Authentic Trattoria
3500 Las Vegas Blvd South

Wolfgang Puck MGM Grand Hotel

Restaurant | "Wolfgang Pucks at MGM"

While we were waiting for our room to be ready, we stopped for lunch. We had calamari to start, and it was some of the best I have ever had. I had a bowl of soup that was okay, and my wife had a salad that she did not rave about, but it looked okay. A couple next to us ordered a salad and hamburger to share, and that looked like the way to go.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on March 14, 2005

Wolfgang Puck MGM Grand Hotel
3799 Las Vegas Blvd S

Luxor Steakhouse

I come to this place when I am staying down at the end of the Strip, and I have not been let down yet. The restaurant is located in the casino area of the hotel, and it's quiet and secluded. I've been there when they had the lights lower, but it was fine for us for the night. I had a big steak that was cooked perfectly, and my wife had the king crab legs. The crab is prepared in a way where they cut the legs open lengthwise, and this makes it easier to eat and enjoy without all the work. I ordered the spinach, and we also enjoyed a salad. The restaraunt also brings a garnish tray and bread. The waitstaff is attentive and checked in on us every couple of minutes. There are three pe...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on March 14, 2005

Luxor Steakhouse
Luxor Hotel and Casino - 3900 Las Vegas Blvd. South
Las Vegas, Nevada 89119

The Colosseum at Caesars Palace

Attraction | "Elton John Songlist"

I reviewed the theater in a free-form, and this is the song list (forgive the spelling): Benny and the Jets
Philadelphia Freedom
Believe
Daniel
Rocket Man
Thats Why They Call It the Blues
Answer in the Sky
Tiny Dancer
Don't let the sun go down on me
Norma Jean
Pin Ball Wizard
Bitch
I'm Still Standin'
Saturday Night
I Hope You Don't Mind

I might have missed one, but not one of the big ones, like Yellowbrick Road.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 14, 2005

The Colosseum at Caesars Palace
3570 Las Vegas Boulevard South
866-276-9468t

Elton has a big red piano set in the left-hand side of the stage about one third of the way over, so if you can get a seat on the right side of the theater, facing the stage, you will be able to see his face the most. There is a big screen behind the stage, and this plays videos that tell stories of the music or are just wild people dancing semi-clothed. Throughout the show, helpers bring out suitcase-sized bags that are actually blow-up dolls of various things that you would not expect to pop out of the ground or wall during a concert. Elton is very personable during the show, telling of the background to songs and details of his travels and life. I got the seats on the main floor, abo...Read More