Mount Baldy Journals

Friday at Mt. Baldy

A February 2005 trip to Mount Baldy by Sarart

Mt. Baldy Photo, Mount Baldy, California More Photos
Quote: This was an excellent day to head on up to Baldy. It snowed all week. I went up with a friend to a base of 7 to 10 feet. It was all powder, and the majority of tree and off-trail runs were untouched. Lift lines ran about two to four people.

Mt. Baldy Photo, Mount Baldy, California
There were excellent conditions today, as virtually nobody came up. The tree runs were virtually untouched, but you had to keep moving so you wouldn't sink into the powder. Everything was open today, and this was probably one of the best days to go off and discover one of your own trails. The trees were covered in white, and the snow was soft. The parking lot filled up quickly, but you couldn't tell because you would often go 20 minutes on a run without seeing anybody.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on March 6, 2005

Mount Baldy, S. California
Mount Baldy, California

Story/Tip

Mt. Baldy Photo, Mount Baldy, California
After a friend decided for the first time to go with me to Mt. Baldy, I wanted to make sure he had a good time. We started the day on Chair 2, the beginner chair. Instead of going down the run, I turned him around and we dropped off the back of Chair 2 on top of Chair 3. It was not too steep, but by going down on the left to the right and back, we lengthened the run and made it last 5 minutes, just enough time to avoid trees and open Chair 3. Once we got on Chair 3, we hit up everything from the double diamonds to the beginners to all the trees. It was all powder, the majority untouched, and runs were already "mogueled." Chair 4 was the prize, with about 8 feet of snow and all of it powder: al...Read More

About the Writer