Clearwater Beach Journals

The Yearly excursion to Clearwater, Florida

A November 2004 trip to Clearwater Beach by jodellebobelle

Gondolier Italian Restaurant Photo, Clearwater Beach, Florida More Photos
Quote: After many trips to Clearwater, I still long to go all the time. It's a great vacation spot that never gets old or boring. There's always something to do, and something beautiful to see, and I get the best tan here!

The Yearly excursion to Clearwater, Florida

Clearwater Beaches Photo, Clearwater Beach, Florida
Clearwater beach has a great pier known as Pier 60, where, as the sun begins to set, the fun begins. Local artists and vendors flock here, and it's a great place to indulge in the laid-back culture of Clearwater Beach. The pirate ship is a great adventure to take the kids on, as well as the Sea Screamer, my personal favorite! Hop aboard a speed boat and get ready to get a good soakin' and see quite a few dolphins on the way. As the boat finds the dolphins out at sea, it slowly takes off, and the dolphins trail after, jumping behind the boat. What a sight! They jump so close sometimes, you think they are going to jump right into the boat. Quick Tips: Grab some of the free coupon books in...Read More

Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key

Hotel | "Marriot Suites Clearwater"

Since my relatives live in Clearwater, I always stay with them, but some friends of mine stayed here at the Marriot Suites and loved it. I did swim in the pool, which is really quite neat, with a big waterfall and a little tiki bar. This hotel was newly renovated. Last year while we were there, they were renovating it (although I don't know why, because its always looked great), so it's in tip-top shape now. I don't know if they still have her, but when we were there in November and every year we had come before, we always went into the lobby of this hotel to see the hotel's official pet parrot, Lisa. She greets all the guests and will talk to you. If I didn't have family in Clearwater, this is wh...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on February 22, 2005

Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key
1201 Gulf Blvd.
Clearwater Beach, Florida 33767

Gondolier Italian Restaurant

Restaurant | "Gondolier Pizza"

Gondolier Italian Restaurant Photo, Clearwater Beach, Florida
A local favorite, a must-eat place, and a place you will want to return to, this great little Italian pizzeria will have you leaving with a satisfied tummy, a face full of smiles, and won't hurt the pocketbook. The decor is fun and Italian. The service is friendly and attentive. It's fun for kids and kids at heart! And it's a great place for birthdays, because they make a big deal about your birthday. My favorite is the cheese calzone, the best I've ever had! The pizza is oh-so-yummy and fresh! You may want to eat here every night you're in town.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on February 22, 2005

Gondolier Italian Restaurant
674 S Gulfview Blvd
Clearwater Beach, Florida 33767

Skimboarding

Skimboarding Photo, Clearwater Beach, Florida
Skimboarding starts with a thin, roundish board that you throw down against a wave as it rolls onto the sand and then hop on and surf the water along the edge of the sand. It's popular among the locals, and we do it every time we go down there. You can purchase a skimboard in Clearwater at any of the local tourist-trap shops for $15-40. And they make nice keepsakes for your next trip to bring back with you. The waves are too small on Sand Key for surfing, so skimboarding is a great and fun alternative. And unlike surfing, it's actually pretty easy to learn.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on February 22, 2005

Skimboarding
Clearwater Beach / Sand Key
Clearwater Beach, Florida

Best time to go?

Story/Tip

Anytime! Clearwater has something for everyone and is always warm and sunny. Tampa, where you fly into, is known as the lightning capital of the world. They do get a lot of rain, but only from about 3 to 3:30pm, and then the sun comes back out. Even in December you can lay in the sun in the 75°F weather.

In fact, December and January are my favorite months to go. For one, it sure shakes those winter blues, and for two, that is sand dollar season, when you can walk along the beach and find lots of sand dollars. Dolphins are also a common sight in Clearwater most of the year. With all there is to see and do, you may have to come twice a year. That's what I do!

About the Writer