Washington, D.C. Journals

D.C Trip

A November 2000 trip to Washington, D.C. by DynaSuperGlide

Quote: This journal is about the trip my sister and I took to our nation's capital. Read on for advice on how to maximize your fun and minimize your expenses.

D.C Trip

The National Mall. Restaurants.

Bring comfortable shoes and clothing. A good camera and plenty of film.

Walking.
The accommodations were just enough for myself and my sister. The bed slept two people comfortably. The room was supplied with a writing desk, telephone, chair, television and a coffee maker. You have the option of ordering a movie through your television but be prepared to pay for it.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on December 8, 2000

Crown Plaza Hotel
1001 14th St NW
Washington, District of Columbia 20005

Old Ebbitt Grill

Restaurant | "Old Ebbitt Bar and Grill"

I came across the Old Ebbitt Bar and Grill while wandering around the streets of downtown D.C. I made a mental note of where it was located and headed back to the hotel. I told my sister that I had found what looked like a nice place to eat out. I called the bar and made reservations for the following day. We arrived at the bar around 4:45 pm and were immediately seated and given a chance to look over our menus. My sister ordered a ham sandwich on rye and I indulged in a parmesan fish and a glass of red wine. The waiter was prompt and made every attempt to make sure that we were enjoying our dining experience. The bar is nicely decorated in a rich, dark wood throughout and the lighting is minimal.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on December 8, 2000

Old Ebbitt Grill
675 15th Street North West
Washington, District of Columbia 20005

The Freer Gallery of Art is by far one of the best museums that I have visited in my travels. On our particular visit we were fortunate enough to gaze upon art from Japan to the Middle-East. As you walk through the gallery you are met by a large wooden statue of a Guardian figure from the Kamakura period of Japan, ca. 1300-1333. It is quite intimidating and impressive. It felt as if at any moment he was going to come to life and demand to see my invitation for an audience with the emperor.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on December 8, 2000

Freer Gallery of Art
1000 Jefferson Dr SW
Washington, District of Columbia 20560

There is plenty to see at this Smithsonian museum. Your interest may lie in the history of the peoples of North America before it was settled or you can turn your attention to geology and gems. On our visit we were lucky enough to see the Hope Diamond and the Dresden Green Diamond. You can look in awe at the clarity and elegance of both diamonds and imagine the natural forces along with the human craftsmanship which brought them into existence.

It is also possible to go to the IMAX theatre and catch a 3D movie about the Galapagos Islands. You will find yourself reaching out to touch the marine iguanas sunning on the rocky shoreline. It is an experience that you will cherish.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on December 8, 2000