Hokkaido Journals

Sapporo and Niseko in Hokkaido, Japan

A February 2005 trip to Hokkaido by corinny24

Quote: I enjoyed Sapporo, the Yuki Matsuri (Snow Festival), and our brief ski holiday at Niseko as a student with little money but lots of time.

Sapporo and Niseko in Hokkaido, Japan

The snow in Niseko was amazing! I can't wait to go back. The Yukimatsuri ice castles, snow creatures, and Yon-san in Ice were great, too!

Once in Sapporo, it's easy to walk between Odori Park and Sususkino in the covered underground walkway.
My friends and I stayed at the Sapporo International Youth Hostel, which was beautiful and only a few years old. It was clean, cheap, warm, friendly, and located right behind the Gakuenmae subway stop. From what I heard from friends staying at other hostels around Sapporo, the International Hostel was the nicest. It was practically a hotel minus the personal bathroom, but the common bath was clean and well-kept.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on February 13, 2005

Sapporo International Youth Hostel
Toyohira 6-6-5-35
825-3120

In Niseko we stayed at the Niseko Kogen Youth Hostel, which is run by a very friendly couple. As it is described in the Rough Guide Japan book, the building is a converted schoolhouse decorated in Winnie the Pooh drawings. The owner gave us a wonderful accordion concert - he’s been playing since he was 10! Since the hostel is quite far from the ski slope, they came to pick us up at the two eastern ski resorts at the end of the day and dropped us off in the morning - just consult with him the day before as to what time you wanted to be dropped off.

www.youthhostel.or.jp

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on February 13, 2005

Niseko Kogen Youth Hostel
336 Niseko
0136-44-1171

Grand Hirafu, Higashiyama, and Annupuri

Attraction | "Niseko: Grand Hirafu, Higashiyama, and Annupuri"

The mountain has the best snow I've ever boarded on, and it’s totally not crowded. It’s a relatively easy mountain but very enjoyable. You can get bus ticket/lift ticket deals if you want to go for a day trip from Sapporo during the winter. It costs around ¥5,000 for the bus and lift tickets, not including rentals.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on February 13, 2005